Monday, March 08, 2010

What my papal bull would look like:

Dear Martin Luther,


Dude. Chill out.

Love, Leo X.

Martin Luther and I have a complicated relationship.

Not enough that I went to a Lutheran school for three years where they painted over the Blessed Mother in the chapel and called me a papist and that one really angry seminarian told me that he would never deign to pray with a Catholic. (What? I promise not to get my incense on you.)

Nope. Not enough. Now I'm writing an essay on him. I was going to do just a general 95 Theses thing, but meh, boring. So! I'm writing about Exsurge Domine (the bull that ended up excommunicating him) instead and contrasting it with the points in the 95 Theses. I know, right? Brilliant. I fully expect a fantastic grade. And not just because I usually get papers for that class back with drool on them.

But first I have to write the damn thing. I don't want to. So I'm thinking of offering it up for the souls in purgatory just to piss off Martin Luther. Who died four hundred and fifty years ago.

Vengeance is mine.

Oh, also. Did you guys know he was a freak? Like, "in the biblical sense"? Well, okay, not exactly weird per se, just...really...wow, inside thought Martin.

Okay, I've embarrassed my Dad for tonight. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the little girl with bouncy curls who said things like "anh" and "name on"? How did you get to referring to a paper on a papal bull as "the *** thing" and doing something so noble as offering up your effort for souls in purgatory but doing it to "*** off Martin Luther"?
Talk about today tomorrow ...
talk about my christmas tree...
Where does ...
I guess I should have know you had a propensity for this type of discussion.
Love you Doodle