Monday, February 28, 2005

The Full Oscar Recap...


Hosted by Photobucket.com



Well, we'll start with a picture. I'd just like to remark that God must have spent way more time on Josh's hair genes, because I have yet to see anybody with curls that look that good. Okay, moving on...(I would have a picture of Johnny up as well, but I couldn't find one that would work. Bummer.)



In my not-so-expert opinion, the Academy screwed up royally last night. I love Chris Rock, I really do. I mean, yeah, sometimes he's kind of offensive, but usually I find him hilarious. But I didn't think he did all that great with the monologue. And the "Gap employees bleeding all over the khaki's" joke was way out of line. We're at war. Mothers and fathers and sons and daughers are dying. I don't think you should be joking about that. But that's just my humble opinion. And he kind of made it all about race. I'm not racist, I think that we shouldn't even really consider race in our dealings with people. It was great that Don Cheadle, Jamie Foxx, and Morgan Freeman were all nominated and Beyonce was singing, but it was just as great that Hilary Swank, Kate Winslet, and Leonardo DiCaprio were nominated. They're all fantastic actors.



I don't actually remember much about the first couple of categories, because they were kind of small and inconsequential. I, however, do not like the new idea of having all the contestents up on stage like a beauty pagent and then hustling the losers off the stage while the winner steps forward. And I really don't like the idea of having the presenter out in the audience and then kind of handing the Oscar to the winner and then kind of pushing them back into their seats. If they're so pressed for time, how about we cut out the two lifetime achievment awards (and the little montage footage that goes along with it), or move more of the slightly technical awards (sound mixing? If you have to explain what is does, all of America probably doesn't need to see it.) to a different broadcast. Or just accept the fact that it's the Academy Awards and it's going to be a long night! They went over by about fifteen minutes, anyway, and they did everything short of mailing the awards to the winners!



Anyway, I kind of only paid attention to the best song and acting awards. Josh sounded great-he looked kind of nervous, but he sounded great. Beyonce was kind of screwing up the chorus, though. If she had been singing alone it wouldn't have been so bad, but when you're doing a duet it's kind of necessary to stick to the melody. I don't understand why the song (sorry, I forgot the name) that won did so. I mean, if Believe didn't, why not Accidentially in Love? That was huge this year- both the movie and the song. Every time I turn on the radio, I hear that or "Pieces of Me". And what about "Learn to be Lonely"? That was beautiful (although Beyonce was kind of screwing up the melody on that one too). Grrr. At least I got to see Josh- and in a tux, too :)!!!!!



The best supporting actress category went the way I wanted it too. Personally, I would have liked to see Kate Winslet nominated for her work in Finding Neverland, because it was really beautiful, but I love Cate Blanchett. I haven't had time to see The Aviator yet, but from the clips I've seen, she did a great job. It looks like a really good movie.  The best supporting actor category was kind of surprising. I really though Thomas Haden Church was going to get it, because of how much the critics loved "Sideways". But I like Morgan Freeman, so that was okay. If I were choosing, Jamie Foxx would have won for "Collateral". He did a great job in that movie, really good acting.



Best Director was hardly surprising. I agree that Martin Scorsese deserves an Oscar, but I think everybody knew that Clint Eastwood was going to get it. What is it about Hollywood and boxing movies? I find them rather boring and dull, but the Academy seems to just eat them up. Anyway...



The best actor and actress categories were hardly surprising, although not upsetting. Best actress was okay. I love Kate Winslet, but I didn't see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so I can't really speak for her performance there. I guess Hilary Swank did a good job, and she probably deserves it. Best Actor was way more upsetting personally. I knew that Johnny Depp had little to no shot of winning, but I liked to hope. My personal feelings aside, he did a really good job in "Finding Neverland". He really deserved this award. And if anybody had to win it, I would have preferred Leonardo DiCaprio. I haven't liked him since I was ten, but he looks like he did a great job in "The Aviator". And, as great a job in Ray as I'm sure Jamie Foxx did, he was imitating a singer. That's not how you win acting awards. You take a role and make it your own, putting a lot of yourself into it. Not imitation. He deserved best supporting actor for Collateral, not this one.



Best picture was not too eventful, either. I think everybody knew Million Dollar Baby was going to win. Of course, I would have preferred Finding Neverland, as I really don't agree with some of the stuff in Million Dollar Baby. I would have rather had The Aviator win over that, as well, but that wasn't going to happen. The other two (Sideways and Ray), I didn't see or care that much about.



So, in general, it was a pretty predictable, sort of disappointing night. But Johnny and Josh were there---looking great. So I'm happy! :)

No comments: