Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Senseless fluff...

Okay, back by popular demand (or one person. Whatever). Don't expect anything incredibly intelligent, as I'm still on a high from seeing Josh Groban and just spent the last few hours watching my various Josh DVD's and having fun little song fantasies...days off are fun.

Anyhoo, let's see what's going on. Nothing. I'm lead a boring life. Like riveling cloistered monks boring. At least they have books to translate into English or whatever to keep them busy. Given my history with foreign languages, I don't think translator is a career option I should be looking into. Oh that's right, I should be studying. Bummer. Moving on...

I guess I'll write about the Academy Awards this weekend. First of all, a little disclaimer. I love Leo DiCaprio. Adore him. Great guy, I'm sure. I'm sure "The Aviator" was a great movie, too. And I'm sure that Jamie Foxx is great, as well. So nobody get mad about this. Secondly, if you've been living under a rock without television or magazines since the winter of 1997 and have never seen "Titanic", don't know the ending (I mean the movie- we all know the ship sinks), and don't want to know, don't read this. But because I know the one person who will be reading this, I don't think it will be an issue.

This Sunday are the Academy Awards. The highlight of the awards season. Winners will be chosen, lives will change, careers will be made. One man, however, is almost certainly not going to win. Ironically, he's the one I want to win most. Johnny Depp gave a beautiful performance in "Finding Neverland". Seriously, I was sobbing at the end (well, that doesn't say much- I cried at the end of "Freaky Friday" too...). It was beautiful. Restrained, moving, emotional, everything that usually gets the Academy. ("The Pianist"? Come on. Beautiful movie, but depressing as all get out.) However, Johnny has been grossly overlooked this season (much the same as he was last year...no, I'm not bitter or anything).
I really thought he had a chance at the Golden Globes, because he wasn't up against Jamie Foxx (who seems to be sweeping everything...). But no, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association apparently deciding that they should go with Leo as opposed to my dear Johnny. Yes, Titanic was massive, but he wasn't even that great in it. King of the World? He played a barely post-pubescent destitute guy who painted naked women, seduces Katie Winslet in the back of a car, and is dead a full forty minutes before the end of the movie. (Except for that ten second thing at the end- but that doesn't count, because it's the afterlife.). SO not the king of the world. Ugh. It disgusted me. And then, three weeks later, the Screen Actors Guild apparently lost whatever good taste they possessed last year and gave the award to Jamie Foxx (nobody get mad, I'm sure he did a great job, just haven't had time to see the movie yet.) Why does no one realize the brilliant cinematic achievment that is "Finding Neverland"????? Hmmmm????? Ugh.

Speaking of awards, what was up with the Grammys???? First they don't even televise best male pop vocal performance (even though they did best male r&b vocal performance), and then they give it to John Mayer???? Grrr. Why does no one realize that "You Raise Me Up" was perfect and beautiful, and yes, a little smaltzy, but that's what a lot of people like, and it should have been recognized???? And did the opening bug anybody else??? I mean, individually, I love all those songs (except "Heaven". Not really into Los Lonely Boys.), but putting them all together was kind of hard to listen too. I was getting dizzy. And the artists looked like they were having trouble remembering their song.

Well, this has been me whining about the state of the entertainment industry. Not that anybody asked me for my opinion. But they should, because I have quite a lot of good ideas that I feel should be implemented! :)

2 comments:

Racergirl179 said...

Watching Josh DVD's = hours and hours of fun and enjoyment.

mi_morena said...

I need to get in here...