Saturday, February 26, 2005

Very Long Movie Post

Nobody probably cares about this, but I felt like I was ignoring my poor little blog. And as I have nothing to write about except the fact that Johnny Depp should win an Oscar tomorrow, you're going to get a long list of my favorite movies and why they are so darn important. Enjoy!!! :) These are in no particular order, by the way...

Gone With the Wind- Um, the greatest movie ever???? This is so beautiful---so perfectly done. I love it. No, I adoit. And read the book, too. It really helps enhance the experience. Everybody, man or woman, should see this movie in it's entirety (without commercials) at least once in their lifetime. I'm serious. This is history.

National Treasure- Yes, I know it's completely implausible and just one of Bruckheimer's overblown movies that only aim to give people a few hours of mindlessness, but I really must ask you- what's wrong with a few hours of mindless entertainment? I love history, and I love going to movies that enlighten you or make you think, but I've got to tell you, I loved this. It was just such a fun movie. Go see it!

The Passion of the Christ- Beautiful movie. I started crying when Peter denies Christ and didn't stop until about two hours after the movie. And not just a few tears- we're talking sobbing. Even if you don't agree with it, it's a beautifully shot movie. Mel Gibson is a genious (I know it's not spelled right...)

The Family Man- I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for guys with babies. (That ER episode where Noal Wylie fights for the baby's rights when the mom doesn't want it...I almost fell off the couch.) This is such a sweet one. Adorable. I love it. Go rent it. No, buy it.

Pirates of the Caribbean- Um, for those who know me, this is self-explanatory. Otherwise known as "The Theme of My Life for Summer of 2003"...and fall...and winter...is it a wonder why chemistry wasn't going so great????

Girl With a Pearl Earring- Lovely. I loved Colin Firth's performance- heck, I love all of Colin Firth's performances. But again, a very pretty movie. A great friend gave it to me for Christmas...:)

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King- or, Why We Should All Move To Middle Earth Because the Guys are So Much Hotter. Totally deserved every award it won. BTW, one of my greatest memories is seeing it the night it came out with my sister and friend---so great!!!

Bridget Jones's Diary (the sequal too)- So hilarious!! I literally laugh out loud when I read the books, and I think the movies really captured that fun, conversational quality. And Colin Firth. And Hugh Grant. Fighting. To "It's Raining Men". *thud* Can't wait until the second one is released on DVD.

Rain Man- I have a thing for movies that make me cry. And Tom Cruise during the hot years. What more do you wand?

Sense and Sensibility- Great book, even better movie. I was just watching it this afternoon and re-realized how great it is. Love it. Love Colonal Brandon...(shut up girls) And I love that husband of the annoying woman. His facial expressions are priceless. And when he's holding the baby...I'm laughing just thinking about it!!!

The Godfather- A movie you can't refuse. (I know it was a bad pun...)

The Godfather II- When Michael and Kay fight- oh. I'm going to cry. Just stay away from the third one.

Love, Actually- Yeah, my reasons for loving this movie are kind of transparent. Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, and Colin Firth all in love and all in the same movie. Sign me up!!!! ;)

The Patriot- For maximum viewing pleasure, watch at two in the morning when you're slightly giddy and eating chocolate ice cream. Good times. Let me tell you, those two hot aussies really look good when you're sleep-deprived.

My Best Friends Wedding- One of the great chick flicks of all time. So cute. So funny. One of my all-time favorite movies---EVER!!! Love the gay best friend. I want a gay best friend...

Seabiscuit- Oh, another movie from the summer of '03. I dare you to watch it and not cry at the end. Read the book, too.

Die Hard- That whole Alan Rickman-being-a-hot-terrorist thing...so what if I was somewhere around infancy when it was released? Love can conquor all!

The Horse Whisperer- The movie that made me fall in love with Robert Redford. Still in love with him...

What Women Want- This is an absolutely hilarious movie. I love Mel Gibson trying to be sensitive, and then pretending to be gay- that part cracks me up!!

The Great Gatsby- That Robert Redford thing again. I know, my parent's hadn't even met when this was released- whatever (no, must stop saying that- it's Robert Redford's least favorite word. At least according to Inside the Actor's Studio.)

Apollo 13- The very first PG-13 movie I ever saw. Still one of my favorites.

Sleepy Hollow- The greatest way to freak youself out while still going "Wow, he's really hot!!"

Rebecca- The old Alfred Hitchcock version. One of my top five movies of all time. So great. I love it. I want her life (except without the dead wife's ghost. And the creepy housekeeper.) One must read the book.

The Count of Monte Cristo- Jim Caviezel sleeping on the floor. Yeah, very personally significant (right?)

Secret Window- one word: Braces!!!!!!! ;-)

Titanic- I know it's cheesy, but it is the biggest movie ever. And I love it so much! Especially the ending...

Where the Heart Is- So cute, and Forney is hot. Read the book first, though.

Collateral- Tom Cruise as the hottest criminal ever (excluding the Ocean's 11/12 gang- they're not really criminals. More like friends who happen to work together at something illegal). Jamie Foxx was quite good too.

Finding Neverland- GO NOW AND SEE THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE OF CINEMATIC HISTORY. AND THEN SCREAM AT THE TELEVISION TOMORROW WHEN IT IS WRONGFULLY EXCLUDED (PROBABLY) FROM THE BEST PICTURE, AND, MORE IMPORTANTLY, THE BEST ACTOR CATEGORIES. Dire threats aside, it's a great movie. I sobbed through the last ten minutes.

The Phantom of the Opera- Gerry Butler. All you need to know. Buy the soundtrack too---excellent. Prepare to hate Emmy Rossum (she did a great job, though).

Donnie Brasco- The role that should have gotten Academy Awards for both Johnny Depp and Al Pacino. Great movie. I really hope Anne Heche was going through a straight period, because otherwise getting to make out with Johnny Depp on the stairs would just be a tragic waste.

Ocean's 11/12- So great. Even if you don't like the movies, just look at the people. It's the largest group of unnaturally pretty thieves I've ever seen!!!

Troy- Knife. Enough said.

Vanity Fair- I don't know why I liked this movie so much, but I really did. Maybe it was because it really caught your interest and then really delivered. I read the book afterwards, which is great as well. Reese Witherspoon is fantastic! So is the Irish Rooster (sorry, sweetie, I had to do it ;-)!)

Something the Lord Made- I know, I know "a long time ago" Really girls, it's been done. But the greatest HBO movie ever. And, for personal reasons, I cannot get over the end with Alan Rickman in a wheelchair (you've poisoned me against my soulmate! Are you happy now?????)

Chocolat- Johnny and chocolate---it's almost too much. Plus, it was the second movie with Johnny Depp that I saw. And the first non-POTC one. So monumental...

Benny and Joon- The funniest, most random movie ever. And so cute and endearing at the same time. You spend half the time thinking "what the heck?" and the other half going "oh, that's so sweet!" And it's got Johnny. You can't go wrong!!

Thirteen Days- I think this was the first real (i.e., not Disney or Indian in the Cupboard) movie I saw in theaters. I really liked it then, and I enjoy it even more now that I actually know where Russia is. Entertaining and educational- pleases everybody!!

A Beautiful Mind - and a beautiful man. Russell Crowe is fantastic in this movie. Another sweet one. And it deserved the best picture oscar.

Just Married- no, it's not a classic. But it's hilarious.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days- The first DVD I ever owned...and it's got Lillith from Fraiser. The Celine Dion part is particularly funny---I love it!!

Wuthering Heights- the Juliet Binoche edition. The rest aren't that great. One should definately read the book, too. It's great. I'm naming my first daughter Catherine.

Sleepless in Seattle- I know it's like the cliche romantic comedy, but the part that gets me is when Tom Hanks and Victor Garbor are talking about The Dirty Dozen like it was An Affair to Remember. I'm always literally rolling on the ground laughing so hard. :)!!!

The American President- Clinton the way Clinton wants to be- young, sexy, thin, and widowed. (Ann Coulter) No, no, I kid...I love this movie. Again, I don't know why, but I just do. And also a killer theme song- very awe-inspirering.

Legally Blond- The movie that made me want to go to law school. Is it weird that I pick my careers based upon fictional stories?

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood- I loved this movie in spite of the fact that it took a little bit of time to get off the ground and then kind of danced around the main point for awhile. But the ending cannot be beat. So cute. I love mother/daughter stories.

Whew- my fingers are tired!!! Not that anybody will actually read through this, or understand it for that matter. Oh well, I had fun writing it!!

2 comments:

CMT said...

Oh! (clutches heart) Love the lovely post! Dead on with all of them (luv What Women Want gay bit- 'Give us a hug'!). I think I'll steal this idea and do a similar post on my blog!!!!!

mi_morena said...

I'm glad you liked it---feel free to do your own, I'd love to read it! I might steal your quotes one, too!!!