Monday, March 14, 2005

Vanity Fair and My Starkly Insignificant Life

Well, we're back from spring break. Bummer. I don't like this getting up for school thing so much. At least I didn't have a test this morning, like I was supposed to. See, this would have been a problem because I threw my backpack down the second I got home a week ago Friday and didn't look at it again until this morning when I started swearing at it. Yeah, I'm completely normal. We did watch some insipid video in history about Africa, put out by the UN. Now, I love the UN. I think they're great- a fine institution. But I've got to tell you, they failed miserably with this video. The guy running it was (literally) like thirteen years old, and supposedly interviewing all these world leaders and doctors about the AIDs crisis and economic depression in Africa. When the kid is three feet tall and has a lisp (hey, I had one too, so nobody get mad), it loses some of its authority, though. Really, guys. (BTW, Alan is so not older than the UN.)

So, yes, we have returned to normal life. As it turns out, I did end up traveling on spring break, but not to Mexico or any other exotic locale to get drunk or something fun but rather to a landlocked city that cannot even figure out how many lanes of traffic should be going in one direction. We almost got killed twice trying to get to dinner one night- not good. Don't you think that if you're planning a road with six lanes and traffic going both directions, and this road happens to go under a bridge with a large concrete support thing separating the lanes (three on one side, thress on the other), that the lanes would be evenly divided and not have one lane on the other side of the concrete support causing one's mother to freak out and yell "We're heading into oncoming traffic!! We're going to die!" And that was just one of the times. Confusing. And it wasn't even for anything Josh-related, which is the only reason I can think of to drop everything and leave town on a moment's notice. (Nobody listened to me when I suggested a detour to Evansville so we could catch his show on Wednesday. Darn.) Don't get me wrong, I was happy to go, filial duty and all that. Well, actually, that's not correct. Because "filial" refers to a son, and I'm a daughter, and he's not my father, but whatever. Same thing. And I got to catch the press conference about Clinton's heart surgury on Thursday when I was sitting in a waiting room with nothing to do, and I have now discovered (along with Imladris) that heart surgeons are hot. Especially when they have cute little geeky glasses and adorable hair. And no wedding ring (he did just pull his hands out of some guys chest cavity though, so that may have accounted for the lack of jewelry...). I think I need to come up with some medical emergency that requires a visit to a thoracic surgeon in New York. Gonna have to work on this one...

Well, I'm late for class, but I read Vanity Fair yesterday, and I really do have some opinions on it that I'd like to share, so there will be another post when I get back. Ciao!!!

1 comment: