Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Thank you God!

We got let out of political science early because we had "case studies" where each group had to pretend to belong to a religion and then defend that religion's views about the political system. My group, composed mainly of Lutherans, I think, got stuck with the most obscure one- Anabaptists. Now, to be perfectly honest, the only thing I know about Anabaptists is that my father and his friend got drunk once during college and started singing about them. That's the extent of my grasp on their theology.

It was kind of fun, though, because one girl got into a fight with this other guy about which edition of the Bible is better (the King James of the NIV), and started yelling about "thees" and "thous" and this other guy tried to get onto a Seventh Day Adventist dating service site- but he was denied admission because the school blocks any website that has to do with sex. The professor (who knew about as much about Anabaptism as I did) just sat there on the table next to us and laughed. It was so odd and kind of funny at the same time...

Finally we just gave up, because our girl was winning the "thee" argument and the guy figured if he couldn't get a date off of this project, it wasn't worth it. So we just left. The other three religions had bolted as soon as he gave us the assignment to do "research" (i.e., get coffee and go home), and even the prof was kind of looking bored (except for hte getting denied by the dating service. That he found hilarious.).

To sum things up, we know nothing more about Anabaptists than we did at ten o'clock this morning, except that those Seventh Day Adventist sites must be pretty freaky if the school won't let you on. *rolls eyes* Why couldn't we have gotten Catholic? I could have done that!

Next class should be intersting as well- Catholic theology. I wonder how the Catholic professor is going to tackle that in this place???

And this was after my profoundly interesting and slightly entertaining history class this morning. We were discussing post-WWI Middle East, which I didn't know that much about. I mean, I know all that's going on over there, but I didn't know how it all came to be. Suffice to say, I learned that those Israelis and the Palistinians have their work cut out for them. Especially the part about East and West Jerusalem (because that Berlin thing worked out so well...). And then the Palestinians want East Jerusalem for their capital- even though it's outside the West Bank???? Even the professor was cracking up. And now Israel is building the wall (again, that Berlin thing should be a big flashing warning light...), which complicates that whole capital-outside- the-nations-territory thing. Very interesting.

In general- a good and entertaining day. I'm kind of going to miss political science, because that's been really interesting. Not holding out that much hope for biology, though- that's usually pretty dull...oh crap, I have an assignment due....

2 comments:

CMT said...

AHHHHNA-Baptist, Anabaptist-Anabaptist, AHHHHNA-Baptist...

mi_morena said...

hehehe...yeah, that's the one!!!