Tuesday, June 21, 2005

All the News That's Fit to Print

My little sister is bogarting the Sims, my mom took the car to go to a doctor's appointment (selfish...), so you're getting an update. Surprisingly, not to go on and on about Christian Bale...

Tonight on CBS is AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes. Which I think is kind of a silly title, because the first actually quotable movie (if you don't count those dizzying cards that they stuck in silent movies) was in 1927 (The Jazz Singer). And even that, they sang most the the dialogue, there were only like two quotable lines. And it's not 2027, yet, is it? Therefore, it cannot be 100 years. But whatever. Pierce Brosnan is hosting, undoubtedly so he can be on hand to say "Bond. James Bond." And, because I'm a crazy, I decided to download the 400 finalists and read all of them. I actually stopped paying attention around 268, I think.

The list was pretty typical. Casablanca had seven quotes, that god-awful Wizard of Oz had six (*gag*), and Gone With the Wind had five. There were the obligitory "E.T. Phone Home", "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates..." from Forrest Gump, and the "I want what she's having" from When Harry Met Sally. The Godfather trilogy had seven among them, but Lord of the Rings only had one, "My precious." Bummer. Love those movies. Star Wars had four, including one from Yoda, and one from Obi-Wan...unfortunately, the old geezer Obi-Wan, and not the Screw-the-Jedi-order-take-me-NOW!!! Obi-Wan...but whatever.

A couple that really made me happy to see was the one about stopping to notice the world or something from Ferris Bueller's Day off (love that movie), the traditional Fight Club quote,"Snap out of it" from Moonstruck, "I was born a poor black boy..." from The Jerk, and that carpe diem one form Dead Poet's Society. Oh, and "Stella!!!" from Streetcar Named Desire, which I can't say anymore without going "STEWWWAAA!!!", and *tear* "I'm king of the world!" from Titanic. Oh Jack... Oh, and there was one from Die Hard...but I can't reprint it here...

But the best two were from Rebecca ("Last night I dreamt I was at Manderley again..."), and (drum roll, please) DONNIE BRASCO!!!! Johnny made the list!!!! I mean, it was just the little "Forget about it line", but it's still pretty cool!!! Although why Airplane got two and The Sound of Music didn't get any, I'll never know. Anyhoo, it'll be cool to see what actually makes the top one hundred. I think it starts at seven central if anybody wants to watch it.

If you have an hour to kill, you can get the list of the four hundred finalists at this address: http://afi.com/Docs/tvevents/pdf/quotes400.pdf

In other news, Josh was on American Dad on Sunday. Honestly, I watched that thing twice, and I couldn't figure out which one he was. The general consensus was that he was the whiny parishioner at the end, but it totally doesn't sound like him. Anyhoo, this appearence caused all of the older, grandmotherly type Grobanites to get their panties in a bunch because of the content matter. Now, this is American Dad. The sister show of Family Guy. As in, the show that FOX kicked off the air because it was too inappropriate. Yes, the network that brought you Monica Lewinsky in "Mr. Personality". You know it's not going to be family hour (which is why I had to tape it...grrr.) I'm pretty conservative, and get offended pretty easily, but I honestly didn't think this was that awful a show. I mean, I certainly wouldn't watch it again, and it wasn't bringing me closer to God, and it wasn't funny at all, but it was just stupid, adolescent boy "humor". And that wasn't really the devil that everybody was getting so worked up about, it was supposed to be Karl Rove. So yeah, kind of offensive, and just plain stupid, but it didn't poison my mind or anything like that.

Yetserday in Hollywood, a crazy woman smashed Leonardo DiCaprio over the head with a wine bottle and caused him to have twelve stiches on the side of his face. Maybe she just wanted the two hours of her life that she spent seeing The Beach back...

Today Bennifer II are vehemently denying that they were married over the weekend. Whew. And I was worried that my gift wouldn't arrive on time. Why do we care so much!?!?!? And, by the way, would it be such a bad thing if you married the guy who got you pregnant? I don't think so...

And on the TomKat front, it was reported on imdb.com that Katie Holmes wasn't picked up to be in the Batman sequel. Sadness. Her immense acting ability was just astounding. I'll be so sad not to see her again. *rolls eyes* See Katie, this is what happens when you go on Letterman and promote SOMEBODY ELSE'S movie!!!! Sheesh...

On the same note, Tom is reportedly trying to prosecute the guys who sprayed him on the red carpet last weekend. If he can stop jumping on the couch long enough to call his lawyer.

And finally, I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith this weekend with my sister and friend. Super good movie. Vince Vaughn is absolutely hilarious ("Mom! We're on high alert here! I almost killed you just then!"), and Brad Pitt is actually kind of good playing the one character he knows how to. A slightly funny, incredibly good-looking, irreverent guy who either beats people up or shoots a gun. Think about it. Fight Club? Ocean's Eleven? Ocean's Twelve? Thelma and Louise? All the same. And I don't know and/or really care if he and Angelina are having an affair, but they definately had chemistry. Because neither of them is that great an actor, and they sizzled on screen. A little bit more raunchy that a PG-13 movie maybe should have been, but it was still really good. Go see it!!!

Whew...long post. Tired now. Maybe I'll go sleep. Or pry the laptop out of my sister's hands.

No comments: