Friday, June 17, 2005

Movies of Note

In the last week, I've seen four movies, which is a lot, even for me. But three were on DVD, so it's not like it was super-expensive or anything. Well, I did shell out $8.75 last night for a movie ticket- one stinkin' movie ticket. What's up with that??? Okay, sounding a little bit too much like my grandfather here... (Love to Grandpa, you don't really sound like that. Or read this, so why am I doing this???) Anyhoo, these movies had absolutely nothing to do with each other, totally different in fact. One was an action/adventure quasi-comic book film, one was a tear-jerker drama, one was a musical with dancing Nazi's (didn't see that one coming, did you?), and one was...well, I guess it was a comedy, but it was pretty much just strange. But I absolutely loved all of them, so I'm going to write about them. K?

The Sound of Music- I watched this with my sister last Saturday, and it was so much fun. I hadn't seen it in like eight or nine years, but really, does anybody in this country not know the story? I guess my parents hate this movie, which is totally hard to do, because it's so sweet, because they never showed it to us. But whenever my dad's parents would babysit for us (which was all of like, four times) they would put this on. In retrospect, it was probably because it's a three hour movie and they didn't like us much. Whatever. This is pretty much my only memory of them. Which is kind of sad when you think about it.

But I loved it. So great. And sister had the entire movie chronicled with her favorite parts. I don't remember what was the first thing---oh,yeah, the "Reverend Mother, I have sinned." So funny. We watched the part where Leisl goes "Whee" in slow motion for like ten minutes...hehehe. And that little Hitler Youth guy is so funny, and so dumb. He and Leisl would be a perfect match- they're both dumb as bricks. As Colleen said, "Somewhere, Dr. Mengela is going "Damn, that's aryan!"Hehehe... Stupid people are funny!!

But my favorite part is where Captain von Trapp goes and finds Maria in the woods and they hug and kiss and dance and sing and he touches her nose in the middle of a verse (I think this was number six on the list). Their entire relationship had consisted of him whistling at her and ogling another woman, and all of a sudden they're meant for each other??? Sheesh. Ooh, and as soon as Maria gets married she starts wearing plunging necklines. See? Even nuns in Austria need guy's approval. It's universal.

Just one more---when Maria's in the Reverend Mother's office and she goes "I don't know how he feels" or something, and the Reverend Mother freaks out and makes the other little nun leave, and you can totally tell the little nun is like "A guy!?!?!? No, let me stay!!!!!" Another universal trait- all women are gossip mongers.

hehehe... I want to go to Austria to be a nanny. ;)

Batman Begins- I hate Batman. And I hate comic-book movies. And I really hate missing ER. But, for some reason, I decided to go see Batman Begins with my family last night. And...I was totally surprised. It was really great! I mean, Batman was hot, so that was good, but it was a really good movie. It was very dark, but not in a campy, dreary way, which made it bearable for those of us who hate comic-books movies.

And that Dr. Crane was hilarious- not intentionally, of course. He looked way too much like a WB poster boy (you know, the ones who look over their shoulders moodily in the commercials with that chick from Everwood...) and I sincerely doubt that he was a 'he' on his birthd certificate. Why can't I have cheekbones like that???

Katie Holmes was getting a little bit annoying, though. She was so perfect. That could be because I hate her for marrying Tom Cruise. Whatever.

Forrest Gump- I actually saw this movie when I was about seven, on TV at my cousins house in Kentucky. See, it was one of those week-long family get-togethers where by the second day everybody is pretty sick of each other, espeically the kids. So Maggie, who is a couple of years older than me, was watching it, and I decided to join her. Honestly, I don't remember anything about it except that naked woman singing behind a guitar. (FYI, she was actually wearing a thong, but I don't think that my seven-year-old brain comprehended that.)

So I rented it this week, and was happy to find out that Gary Sinise (my beloved Mac from CSI:NY) was in it. I love Mac. He's so sweet. Awww...until I saw the New Year's Eve scene, after which I had to pause the DVD and go clean out my eyes with soap. Yeah...

Anyhoo, it was so sweet. I cried so hard at the end. And it's got a little Haley Joel Osmont or whatever the heck his name is in it---doesn't get much better!!! He's so cute!!! I want to have a little boy that looks just like him...and I don't even want boys. That's how cute I think he is. :) You should get it immediately. Just fast forward through the part with the principal, and New Years. Because they're just nasty. The last scene is so precious, though. I'm crying just thinking about it!!! *tear*

Napoleon Dynamite- One word: Lafawnda. 'nuf said.

No comments: