Monday, August 15, 2005

Shades of '03

Like the new name??? I felt the need to profess my undying devotion to the movie...

Anyhoodles, my family and I watched Pirates of the Caribbean last night.

It rocked.

It's the best movie ever.

Jerry Bruckheimer had first dibs on my firstborn. Seriously, I'll send it to him when it arrives.

I love this movie. It's the only movie I can think of that I can watch over and over and over and over again without ever really tiring of it. I saw it SEVENTEEN TIMES , for goodness sakes. And that was just in theaters!!!! Even my sister, who was putting up a little stink because she didn't want to watch it again, started smiling as asoon as Capt. Jack came on and was like "Okay, I'm really glad we're watching this..."

It's not the movie what I love so much, I love what it represents. I mean, don't get me wrong, the movie is wonderful. The first time I saw it (before I liked Johnny) I turned to my dad at the end and said "Okay, when can we go again???" It's such escapist stuff- It knows it's Disney and it's proud of it, damn it!!! Right down to the Mickey Mouse gunshot. You end up liking Norrington and Will and Elizabeth and even Gov. Swann, who has got to be the stupidest dad ever.

It's more what it represents, really. It gave me Johnny. Before this he was just that weird guy who ws in Edward Scissorhands. Now he's covering most of my bedroom.

I saw this movie with anybody I could get to come with me (as pitiful as I am, I would not have gone to a movie for the tenth time alone...). I remember the night that I saw it at ten o'clock and then my friend and I went back to my house and listened to the soundtrack until one. And the time I went to see that with my friend and a group of her friends from school as opposed to studying for my college chemistry test the next morning. (I got an A-, and had a hell of a time). And the last time I saw it in regular theaters, when it was just my mom and I and this creepy old guy and we were laughing so hard when we got out because we couldn't- or didn't want to- figure out what possibly could have drawn him to it.

And then there were the boards. Seriously, I lived on the imdb boards. We even named one of the characters. You know the guy who says "That's got to be the best pirate I've ever seen!" when Jack and Will "commandeer" the Interceptor? Yeah, well, we thought he was way to important to just be "Lieutenant", so we named him Teddy. And most of the girls thought he was kind of cute. He needed a name. Good times.

I even still have my calander page from December of 2003, with December 2 all highlighted and with smiley faces all over...I'll never forget it when my English professor cancelled class that day. I almost kissed him.

I'm not pitiful enough that this is still all so important to me. I watch other movies , the last time I was on the imdb boards was over a year ago, and I honestly hadn't watched the DVD in close to a year before last night. But it totally takes me back. I needed that movie that summer. I needed something where I could forget about all the other crazy shit that was happening and just be happy for a awhile.

And I got it- in the form of the kick-ass-iest movie of all time. Johnny. Rum. Guns. Swords. Johnny. JOHNNY. Really, what more do you need???

1 comment:

Racergirl179 said...

Good times with the pirates! Just lettin' you know that my username has changed from Swimmergirl1 to Racergirl179. So don't get confused when you see that name!