Monday, December 05, 2005

Too Many Books

Do you ever have this problem? When you simply have too many books to read? I'm finishing one today, I have one on the Medici family that looks amazing, a great biography of Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt out from the library, and volumes of Dostoyvesky that I really, really want to read but never seem to find the time to. (They are seven hundred pages, in my defense...) And 1776. I've had that one for two months.

But before all these I have to go to Borders and buy The Moonstone. Elizabeth Kostova, who wrote the amazingly brilliant The Historian (everyone go buy it- NOW!!!) was recommending it in Entertainment Weekly this week, and it sounded really good. And then I remembered- it was on Wishbone!!!! Remember that one, girls??? I only have a vague recollection of it, I think there was a servant girl standing on a cliff and something about a poison ring, and Wishbone, of course, was the main guy. So now I have to buy it. Thank goodness it's only $6.75!

And then that got me thinking about Wishbone, and how awesome that show was. I never had an aversion to being taught, but for kids who didn't really want to learn, it was the perfect way to introduce them to literature. And even I, who enjoy nineteeth century Russian literature, was not devouring Shakespeare and Dumas at seven. Not even Austen. I still haven't read Ivanhoe or The Prince and the Pauper, because they both looke exceedingly boring, but I know what they're about, and that makes me feel like a Productive Member of Society. :) I really hope they either come back on again or release them on DVD before I have kids, because I can't imagine them not having them see those.

Onto non-book related items, because I know certain people make it a point never to read anything other than a Las Vegas Guide Book or anything that starts and/or ends with "Walt Disney World", I really hurt. We decorated for Chrstimas yesterday, and I pulled something lugging one of the huge trees upstairs. And now I've got that sciatic pain down the back of my leg. You know, the one that makes you not able to move??? Lupe's not pleased. And she's got a boatload of work to do this week. Grrr. Not in a good mood. Especially since I was researching this sculpture I have to write a paper on, and it said that there was a replica in Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas, which made me remember that memebers of my family will be there next week for the second time in the last three hours or something and I'm just going to be writing about good ol' Nike of Samothrace. Grrr. And why the hell is she in Caesar's Palace, anyway???? She was a Greek sculpture, not Roman, and not from when Julius Caesar was around- or any of the Caesars for that matter. Ugh. Crap, I'm late for class...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My I found this blog entry to be extremely interesting and rather "presonal".....

1. I always have too many books to read :):):) One is usually one too many :)

2. There is just nothing like a good "Vegas" or "WDW" guide book to read.....we all must do some reading!!!

3. Would it help your paper if you saw a picture of said statue???? There is a chance I might have a picture of it even though I haven't a clue what it is!!!!! You are welcome to check out the background of my many Caesars Palace pictures):):):) There are many satues at Caesars Palace...some just stand still....some move....some are part of shows....some I have found are really "people" made to look like statues...(that is freaky the first time)....etc etc etc....it's Vegas baby even the stutues do interesting things:):):)

mi_morena said...

I figured you'd like it... :)

I'm not sure it would help the paper, because it's due soon, but if you've got a picture I'd like to see it. It's a statue of a woman without a head and big wings, with kind of see-through clothing carved on. I've never been to Vegas, but I'm pretty sure that's rather unique.;)

There was a CSI:NY about a guy made into a statue...but he died and Aiden and Danny had to figure out who propped him up. That's probably never happened in Vegas...everything is perfect there!!! :)

CMT said...

The servant girl!!!! On the cliff!!!! Yes, with the like stuff all wrapped up in a sheet???? I REMEMBER!

Anonymous said...

I saw that CSI show....it was very good....but....you are right Vegas is perrrrrrrrfect:):):):) I think I just might have to go back....It might be too late for your paper, but I could ask the powers that be at Caesars where said staute just might be. :):):)