Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Requiem for a DVD player

*sigh*

My faithful friend that got me through either three or four (can't remember which birthday I got it for---15 or 16) and a half years is dead. Dead. Won't play anything, wasting space on my shelf, making the 200 DVDs carefully organized according to degree of worship standing next to it completely obsolete dead.
Not good.

Because clearly what I needed in this season of the release of every major DVD/box set I've ever wanted and Christmas gifts and an expensive haircut and oh yeah THREE THOUSAND FREAKIN' DOLLARS for an eighth of a practically worthless piece of paper that will qualify you to do absolutely freakin' nothing from a school who's name doesn't even make sense (Letters and Sciences? What the hell does that even mean???) I needed an excuse to spend fifty bucks on another electronic.

But in between a finals and a stop at Pick and Save for cookie adornments, I went to Target and bought one because the last twelve hours without any entertainment whatsoever have been killing me, and it's now in a box waiting for Daddy to set up because I am Teh Hopelessness when it comes to anything that plugs in.

Also, I desperately need to watch Little Miss Sunshine on DVD.


However, I am not, as previously assumed, Teh Hopelessness in the kitchen. Well, I mean, I probably still am, but I spent three and a half hours today making Christmas cookies, all of which are mine and mine alone, because something did not notify the Patriarch of the family that I hold the copyright for Mexican Wedding Cakes and he made them instead, I don't really care, because they are Teh Awesomeness, and I was forced to go though the Betty Crocker Christmas Cookbook last night and come up with my "own" recipes.


I did quite well. Something called a sparkle cookie, which is pretty much just a sugar cookie rolled in colored sugar, spice cookies with frosting, chocolate bon bon cookies (without the nuts, so I guess they're just chocolate) with vanilla frosting and sprinkles, and the ever popular spritz. Oh, and my fudge, which I don't think anyone really eats but I really like to make.

Everything else went swimmingly, but since last year we have somehow managed to lose a critical component of the spritz machine in our completely impractical and now probably mouse infested corner cabinet (seriously, what were you thinking with that?). Like the part that screws on the top to keep the metal thing on. Important. So I was forced to use the hideously shit-colored brown thing that my parents probably got for a wedding gift and was still in the box that had inexplicably made the move and ended up with a prime piece of real estate in our completely impractical corner cabinet.

Just an update: I thought the '70s were the worst decade for home decor, what with all the furriness. No longer true---the '80s with all their yuppiness and puke-colored appliances were definitely worse.

Also, this machine sounded like a dying baby.

I'm not making that up.

So, I haven't exactly been a beacon of personal care today. Got up at quarter to six, which is an hour when no one should have to get up because there is nothing worthy that you could possibly accomplish before seven o'clock so you might as well just stay asleep.

But when you have a math final with probability (*spat*) at seven freakin' thirty, sadly, you must. And then you find yourself sitting in the coffee shop at eight thirty not entirely able to remember how you go to campus or took that exam or what time it is exactly and it's a very strange world when you've been up for three hours by eight-thirty.

So one left. *happy dances*

Also, I've had a skim mocha and Christmas cookies today. Not kidding. That's it. Not good.

Don't care, though, because some wonderful Grobie sent me Josh's two new songs on some Hallmark CD that I'd never heard of that doesn't come out until January, and it's probably totally illegal but I don't care because they're on my iPod now and you can't take them away from me!!! Damn, that boy's damaged.



Next major project? Wrapping presents. Love to do that. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
Two major happiness notes: 1.) I'm finished with math for the rest of my life. Choirs of angels are singing *right now*

Also, CBS is rerunning the Christmas episode of How I Met Your Mother, which is quite possibly one of the funniest I've seen in quite a while.

Have a good day!!!

6 comments:

Mickey said...

I would be more than happy to eat your fudge!!!!!!! Glad math is over and sooooooooo sorry about the DVD situation.....great blog you are sooooooooo funny!!!!! It's almost vacation time.......:):):):):)

John T Jurkiewicz said...

I made cookies today also. Approximatley three dozen chocolate chips. I was so proud that i only ate one and I do not belive that counted as I perceived it to be in the process of commiting cookieside

rockford said...

The cookies are great - I think you need to make them every year and make those your own special domain!!!! Too tasty for words!!!! So happy for you that math is finished - even if it decided to finish up at such an awful hour - leaving for the bus in the dark is not fair!!!!Hope you enjoy your new DVD - that Mickey, what a helper she is!!!!!

Mickey said...

MIckeyClaus is always happy to assist....:):):)

Anonymous said...

Ahem....I have a degree from Letters and Sciences. ( in the box in the basement)

Oh and I don't believe ojava only ate one cookie!

Arbiter-117 said...

Nice template. Its very yellow.