Friday, December 15, 2006

Who moved all of our decorations? And what is Santa doing to that elf?!?!?!

Imladris, why aren't you commenting???

Oh the weather outside is...actually, pretty nice. Freakishly nice, really. Bright, sunny, and fifty degrees. God bless global warming. But only if Al Gore will stop his whining about it. Because that is just getting really, really annoying.

Also, God bless book buyback, because my checking account is now smiling happily rather than scrounging for crumbs on the floor of the bank or wherever else a checkbook would eat, as it was before. So now I have sixty dollars to remember Russian and geography by, which is a rather good deal, n'est pas? Sadly, I have to keep my French book. *sigh*

So geography final---well, it was a final. And now it's over. And I never have to go back to that class again praise the Lord. And there were fifteen extra credit points available, all involving writing which is my ace in the hole. Except I forgot one of the pillars of Islam and just did the little, "They have five pillars, including... ". Works every time. They don't know I forgot Ramadan. Maybe I just thought it was less important. Also, using big words confuses the TAs. They get dizzy easily.

The last one honestly asked about the enivronmental costs to the Russian domain due to heavy industrialization. "Chernobyl. Duh." sounded flippant, so we did a little more than that. Not much, because I really wanted to get out of there and get a pretzel.

I did get out of there and got a pretzel with Mary, and it was lovely. We considered having a ceremonial bonfire and getting rid of the notes. Cathartic. And also, we're kind of pyromanicas a little bit.



Daddy's baking Christmas cookies as we speak. Yay!!! I was just thinking how we have nothing good in the house for desert because someone who shall remain nameless used my brownies to subliment his/her rage at . And now they're all gone. *sigh* But now we do. So snaps for Daddy.

My family is so weird. We 0nly know how to make like three kinds of cookies, but we're all fiercely protective of our individual right to back those three cookies, and so we end up with like four different sets of these three kinds of cookies, every single year. Except I'm the only one who makes Mexican Wedding Cakes.

Author's Note: Love the cookie and all, but what kind of lame-ass wedding cakes do they have in Mexico??? It's flour, sugar, and water dropped onto a pan. Boring.

Also, I think my dad, Colleen, and I all do different spritz cookie batches, because those are just so much fun, and a bitch to clean. And I know that we end up with at least three batches of cutouts, and possibly a batch for John as well (at his request, there is no more The Boy at least out loud

Le anyhoodles, I don't know when I'll have time to do my cookies. Probably next week, because once I get French out of the way I'm pretty much finished studying. I don't know why I bake cookies, because I have negative domestic talent, and don't particularly like cooking, and I really don't like cleaning up after people especially myself if I've made a huge mess, so it seems rather like a masochistic endeavor to me, but, dammit, I do it every year. So I will be making Mexican Wedding Cakes (copyright: me), cutouts with pretty glaze, spritz that look more like green blobs than anything holiday related, and my fudge. Which is reknowned all over...um...the living room.



Major entertainment news yesterday, y'all; Golden Globe noms released. I love it when they announce nominations, because I get all excited and start picking who I want to win and all...awards season almost puts me over the edge. As usualy, however, the HFPA refused to call me for my input, and thus there are several acceptable and unacceptable items that I feel deserve commenting on...


Acceptable Item #1.) JOHNNY!!!!11!!!! OMG JOHNNY!!!!!!!!!!


Acceptable Item #2.) *ahem* *deep breaths* Obviously, for religious reasons, I must support Johnny above all others, but I love like three of the best actor-comedy guys!!! Thank You For Smoking was freakin' hilarious, and I love Will Ferrell like whoa. And Borat guy is funny (his real name is too long).


Acceptable Item #3.) Helen Mirren is rolling around naked in all of her nominations. While this is a nausea-inducing thought, I'm happy for her, because I love and adore her like a real queen. Which I don't have, because somewhere along the line my ancestors in spirit (my real ones were toiling in eastern Europe probably under the oppressive regime du jour, because that all eastern Europe really knows how to do, but just go with me here) decided that some damn tax was too much to pay for pretty dresses, pretty accents, and pretty monarchy. Whatevs.


Also consider that she is nominated for playing both Queen Elizabeths in the same year.


Acceptable Item #4.) Meryl Streep, with all her bleeding-heartness, completely deserves this award and definately even deserves an Oscar nod. And I watched the whole movie again last night, and it was really good. I love it.


Acceptable Item #5.) The Office and Ugly Betty up for best comedy series. Two of the best comedy series I've seen in a long time, and they completely deserve it. Again, I know who I'm rooting for, but my loyalties are somewhat divided...


Unacceptable Item #1.) Um, excuse me, but where is Steve Carrell's nomination for Little Miss Sunshine? Did I get an incomplete copy?


Unacceptable Item #2.) Helen Mirren has to beat *gasp* herself to win the award! No! Did anyone really watcht he PBS thing? I wanted to, but it was like four hours long!!! She had The Queen, and Elizabeth I, and I think they should have left it at that.

Unacceptable Item #3.) Seriously, Brad Pitt? What the hell???


Unacceptable Item #4.) Only a nom for Gillian Anderson for Bleak House. Totally deserved and all, but Esther deserved one too. *sniff*


Unacceptable Item #5.) WHY DOES NO ONE SHOW MY CSI'S ANY LOVE!?!?!?! Gah. Cretins.





So Ojava posed a query on his blog that I found rather intersting and embarrassing, all at the same time. What is on your iPod? Or CDs or whatever it is that you listen to frequently, for those readers without one.

I started scrolling through mine, and realized that I am, in fact, a huge dork. Not many places can you find solid gold '90s pop next to Beethoven's 9th, but not many places are my playlist. So, rather than competely humiliate myself, I decided to list the top eleven most played songs on my iPod this year. Keep in mind that this year encompassed graduation, making me feel rather sentimental which is probably responsible for the reprehensible choice of #7. I'd like to state for the record that I am not, in fact, a Ryan Cabrera fan. *shivers*

Also, I'll explain why there are eleven when I get there.

11.) Requiem Aeternum, W.A. Mozart

10.) The Riddle, Five for Fighting

9.) Suddenly I See, KT Tunstall

8.) My December, Josh Groban

7.) I Will Remember You, Ryan *chokes* Cabrera

6.) Numbe/Encore, Jay-Z and Linkin Park

5.) Baba O'Riley, The Who

4.) Wake Me Up When September Ends, Green Day

3.) It's My Life, Bon Jovi

2.) Holiday, Green Day

and finally, with an astounding 110 replays, Number 1 is through no fault of my own and is only on here because Imladris steals my iPod and works out with it...and this is a catchy, upbeat tune.

1.) Jerk It Out, Caesars

So? What's on your iPod or playlist?

2 comments:

CMT said...

SQUEEEEE JOHNNY!

And where is that title from? It sounds familiar.

And I haven't been commenting because blogger hasn't been letting me, the buggers.

rockford said...

Thanks for the last couple of updates - I have been remiss in commenting....I am so happy about Johnny...it will make the show so much better...just think, it is almost red carpet season!!!!! I can't wait for your cookies but I think there was a little mix up on the mexican wedding cakes being yours alone - did you not mention that fact to your baking crazed father???? Glad you could sell your books - hope there are some more you can unload......sorry about the csi's - why are they always forgotten....??