Thursday, December 20, 2007

Day 2, Winter Break '07: I am rudely awakened (again).

Oh, it was not amusing.

This time Germ broke his glasses. Which required actually two trips, one to the high school and one to the eye place to actually fix them so he could go back to labbing and study halling and spreading malaria or whatever the hell as settled in his chest that is causing him to continuously hack up a lung.

Tomorrow morning? The phone rings and the caller ID says GHS? I'm not picking up. I don't care if they're on freaking fire. I will meet you at the hospital at a more appropriate hour, like maybe after Will & Grace.

So I'm finally finished baking. Well, at least until Monday when I have to make desserts because, well, I don't know really, but I was told to. Including the Happy Birthday Baby Jesus Cake that OMG WE HAVE HAD EVERY YEAR SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN!!! (according to my mother) although I don't remember EVER having a Happy Birthday Baby Jesus Cake.

Not that it's not a nice sentiment, but I certainly don't remember ever having one.



Regardless, this Christmas, Baby Jesus will be favored with a lovely pumpkin spice layer cake with cream cheese frosting courtesy of Some Book I Found In The Pantry.

That's beside the point. In the last forty-eight hours I have baked:

  • Sparkle cookies
  • Chocolate bon bons
  • Spice cookies w/frosting
  • fudge
  • light ginger cookies w/frosting
  • Mexican wedding cakes
  • random spritz- only Christmas tress this year, because I got tired
  • Fudgee Meltaway bars
  • Festive Cheese Tarts- not so pretty, will warrent another attempt Monday
  • Cinnamon 'n Sugar muffins
  • pumpkin muffins
  • Poppyseed bread that became lemon poppyseed bread becaue I think if you're going to go to the trouble of putting freaking poppyseeds in the damn thing, you'd better do lemon, too
  • St. Lucia buns

I think that's it. But honestly, I'm exhausted, so I don't really know.

My favorite are the St. Lucia buns, though (Even though I'm incapable of making a simple s-shape and thus they turned out spastically. Oh, and I refused to spend $16.47 on saffron at the grocery store, so I went through online recipes until I found one that didn't call for it. Rock on, reasonably priced tumeric.). Because I'm pretty sure I did the whole St. Lucia thing one year.

See, Kirsten was my favorite American Girl, and she was all Swedish, so she was St. Lucia. And well that was just so freaking cool I had to be her too. So I had the dress and the head thing except without real candles and a battery pack strapped to my neck, but still. And I could just be totally hallucinated this part, but I think I actually did get up early one morning and give rolls to my parents. But I think that's wrong. Maybe I just thought about it.

So that was pretty cool. Except I was really pissed that my mom wouldn't let me use the real candles. Kirsten was hardcore, y'all. She had flames.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure which part of this post I enjoyed most.....it was great!!! lol...germ!!!! If I ever have an emergency I hope it is well after Will & Grace:):):)....based on that list of food I am very glad I am invited for Christmas dinner:):):)