Sunday, December 30, 2007

Vacation

I'm declaring a moritorium on actual updates in which I say actual things until the new year, if only so that I will have something to say for 365 days. I'm doing lists today, and tomorrow I'll probably do an end-of-2007 one, but that's all.

So you will hear all about my Christmas and the past week starting on Tuesday. Meanwhile, if you would like pictures, they're already on Flickr.

So, I give you, the top 10 Most Played Songs on my iPod. Or, Wow, What a Dork:

10.) Alone, Celine Dion
9.) Somebody Told Me, The Killers
8.) In Her Eyes, Josh Groban
7.) Don't Give Up (You Are Loved), Josh Groban
6.) This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race, Fall Out Boy
5.) PM's Love Theme, Love Actually (impressive, given that I got it a week ago)
4.) All I Need, Within Temptation
3.) Bones, The Killers
2.) When You Were Young, The Killers
1.) Lacrymosa, Evanescence

No, seriously, I don't cry into my pillow and cut myself.

Favorite Movies of 2007: (I would like to reserve a spot for Juno, which I think I will love but haven't had the chance to see yet.)

10.) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- Honestly, this movie could have been horrible and I wouldn't have noticed after "penetrate your mind". But I heard from people that it was good.

9.) Invasion-Please look past the fact that I saw it for Jeremy Northam and Daniel Craig and realize that it is a very good film. Which should be on DVD already and ISN'T FOR WEEKS GAH.

8.) National Treasure 2- I totally thought it was going to suck, but it didn't. Please just look past the glaring teensy issues like what the hell a gold pile in South Dakota would have helped the Confederacy.

7.) POTC: AWE- *tear* I can't...I just...*tear*

6.) The Good Shepherd- WHY DOES NO ONE ELSE LIKE THIS MOVIE!?!?! It's friggin awesome.

5.) Children of Men- Oh, so good. In that bleak, post-apocalyptic way. But Clive Owen- *squee*

4.) 3:10 to Yuma- Okay. This may have been another one I went to for the guys, and DAMN was it worth it. Given the fact that he's a raging crazy, I'm left to adore Russell Crowe in the movies, and this was quite a good character for him. Also? Christian Bale? Is still hot. In case you were wondering. And worth watching just for Luke Wilson's cameo which leaves you going, "Wait. Was that Luke Wilson?"

3.) Sweeney Todd- Pants aside, very good. Notsomuch with the singing, but still. I loved Mrs. Lovett's unabashed adoration of Johnny Depp. And after TWO people I was with leaned over and said, "That'd be you," I got a little offended.

2.) Elizabeth: The Golden Age- Oh, I love these movies even though they're all wrong. Barbossingham is also quite good.

1.) Waitress- I didn't even see it in theaters, but this was, by far, the best movie I've seen in a long time. It was moving and fun and made you think, just like movies should.

Best Books of 2007 (I'm sticking to ones released this year, although I've read and loved older ones.)

10.) Augustus, Anthony Everitt

9.) Sheer Abandon, Penny Vincenzi- Abandoned babies in airports? Sign me up. I don't mean to abandon a baby in an airport. Just to read about it.

8.) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling- All this time? Always.

7.) The Art Thief, Noah Charney- A mystery about a forger who may or may not be forging and already forged work. Oh yeah.

6.) Summer at Tiffany, Majorie Hart- Absolutely the sweetest book I've read in a long time. So adorable, made me really hope that I could have a summer that defined me like that.

5.) King, Kaiser, Tsar- You all know how I feel about dynastic families and their crazy.

4.) Supreme Conflict, Jan Greenburg- Gossipy tale about the recent Supreme Court developements. So yeah, I read it. And loved it. And it's amazing.

3.) Nefertiti, Michelle Moran- Maybe it was just because I read it while in the midst of an Egyptian civ class that was kind of taking up most of my brainpower, but I really, really loved this book. Except again, totally all not true.

1.) You'll notice I skipped 2. Or maybe you weren't paying attention. Either way, my favorite book this year is a toss-up between The Nine, by Jeffrey Toobin, and How to Talk to a Widower, by Jonathan Tropper. I adored both. I've done everything but steal them to get people to buy them. No one will listen to me, but at least I have an ally in my sister with the widower one. She's not so much into the judicial stuff.

I'm going to go attempt to swallow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must have had too much of that God given bourbon because I never saw the camera!!!!!!!! One must be careful around you:):):):)

Anonymous said...

I loved the lists!!! You have been busy this year -- it is amazing that you have time to work and attend class what with all of the books to be read the movies to be watched and the songs to be listened to (I guess that can be done on the way to and from said work and class....) Can't wait for your next update!!! By the way, I agree with you on The Nine....

John T Jurkiewicz said...

Gee, you did more in a year than I have in a lifetime. Good for you!!! Keep up the good work. I like the Killers also, both their albums are on my Ipod. Mostly, I listen to Polka's when I walk in the morning.

CMT said...

HTTTAW!!!!