Tuesday, October 27, 2009

He's weak. I can take advantage of that.

One of my major semester papers is on Iran. I've decided that the only part of Iranian history I find remotely interesting is the hostage crisis. Mostly because the Republican in me rejoices when she sees examples of Presidents who were far more inept than George Bush and far less hated for it.

(Like I know. I wasn't born until six years after the hostages were freed.)

Well, that and the part where I realized that I'd read the memoirs of the Shah's wife and DIDN'T REALIZE IT. Yes. I am so stupid that I've studied her husband in three different classes and I didn't put it together with that night I couldn't sleep and read this book about an angry royal Iranian with delusions of grandeur at four o'clock in the morning.

THAT IS HOW DUMB I AM INTERNETS.

So. I'm going to write about the hostage crisis.

Problem. I told my professor I'm writing about the revolution and the switch from autocracy to theocracy and it's impact on the modern Middle East.

Solution. He's probably in a Tylenol with codeine haze and I'll be able to manipulate this. I don't know what you're talking about, sir, you e-mailed me and told me it was totally okay for me to write about the US involvement in Iranian politics.

2 comments:

rockford said...

Why the haze...is it the illness for which he has been cancelling class or do you just assume he abuses over-the-counter drugs??? Too bad Grandma is not here to give you her "Margaret and Dick Harrigan" brother/brother-in-law escaped hostage story...it was a good one - they even made a TV movie about it - but the details have become fuzzy in my brain...maybe it is my own little haze...so many stories have been lost to that haze...I do so hope they all come back someday...anyway, back to the subject, I am sure that your prof will so enjoy your hostage crisis paper that he will not even notice the lack of chit-chat about revolution and that whole switch thingy...but if he is a democrat, be careful what you say about the attempt to rescue the hostages...I think the democrats are still a little sensitive about that subject...I'll bet a hostage or two is still a tad angry about it too...

mickey said...

look cute and wear big earings and he will believe anything you tell him :) You will be just fine !!!