Monday, October 05, 2009

The Midrash is just so not as exciting.

Good weekend, y'all. We roadtripped it up to Door County, which is massive amounts of fun. Also massive amounts of fun? Eating massive amounts of food. Which is pretty much all I did this weekend. Which is why I'm kind of impressed that my dress looks good this morning because my people? They tend to bloat.

There was quite a lot of talk about my Jewish WI class, in fact, there may even be pictures of Colleen and me pretending to be Jean Nicolet underneath a sign. I may have made my dad turn around so I could take a picture of the Two Rivers sign because dude! Joseph Mann became mayor there in 1866! And this is very exciting! (Two Creeks or whatever it was that followed it? Meh, don't care so much. They had no Jews.)

The class that didn't get talked about so much? The one I have a test in tomorrow. A test that I think will be difficult. For no reason. But I do. And I don't have a clue who Samuel na Hagid is. I don't even know if that's how you spell his name. And I'm having a major problem keeping all the terms straight because it's not my religion and I haven't been raised with it and my Gentile mouth doesn't even make some of those sounds (Transubstantiation? I can say that no problem.) and ugh, I can never remember what "halakah" means.

Yeah...we'll see. The first half is matching and hopefully the essay is something easy, like "Write about the rise of Christianity."

Because I've discovered the secret. It's an awesome secret. I'm thinking of composing a Guide To Being A Jewish Studies Major For Little Irish Catholic Girls. It's quite simple really- genius, in fact. Write about Jesus. Just...write about Jesus and throw in a little bit of background about the Pharisees and the Sadducees or something else kind of remotely Jewish.

I'm writing two papers for two different Jewish studies classes right now- one's on how St. Jerome's choice in picking the word for "horns" instead of "glorified" (and yes, it was a choice not a mistake, and yes, that is my thesis) impacted the representation of Moses in art; the other is about Father Marquette. I'm writing my freaking thesis on Vatican II and getting Jewish credit for it for heaven's sake- I just need to shove a paragraph in there about Nostra Aetate and we're all set.

The true test will come when I need to pick a paper topic for my Arab/Israeli conflict class. Hmmm. I'm sure I'll come up with something. The secret does not disappoint.

2 comments:

mickey said...

glad you had a nice weekend, good food and no bloating...that is a good weekend!!

rockford said...

It was a good weekend, wasn't it?? But now it is time to get back to Jewish reality.....hope the secret works on your test today (I know, you have explained to me that Vatican II actually did have some effect on the Jewish people....I do not know too many Jews really well, but those I do know have never engaged me in deep and meaningful conversation about Vatican II and all of its ramifications...just sayin'...:)