Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oscar Noms...

...are pretty damn boring, actually. With the notable exceptions of Keira Knightly up for best actress and Corpse Bride for best animated feature, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the Golden Globes and SAG awards. In fact, best actor is the same as SAG. Whatever. It's still the Oscars, and I still have opinions (really, there are so few things that I don't have an opinion on...). You can find the compete list of nominees, including all the boring technical ones, here.

Best Picture-
Well, we all know what's going to win...you cannot beat gay cowboys directed by Asian Americans. Except maybe with racist cops. My choice for a dark horse would be Crash, because it's one of those movies that 12 people saw, only 3 understood it, and the rest of the world just sat around going, "Oh, yeah, it really made you think..." Uh-huh. Sure it did, honey. I'd kind of like to see Capote win, because it looks interesting, but I doubt it. And normally I'd be rooting for Munich because of the Eric Bana connection, but I'm really not fond of films that make terrorists out to be sweet family men. Even if one of them was Hector. Just not cool.

Best Actor-
I'd like to see Juaquin Phoenix win, because he's the only one I really know anything about, but I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman will win...again. And probably favor us with another boring acceptance speech...again. And everybody will try to get that grating Capote-voice out of their heads- again. And every single woman in the audience will be sitting on their couch eating pizza and thinking about the incredibly unfair double standards Hollywood has. Because you know Renee Zelleweger never would have won for Cold Mountain if she hadn't lost the Bridget Jones weight, and yet this rather pudgy guy comes in and wins everything...again. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

The rest of the guys don't have a chance. Apparently everybody embraces the gay lifestyle but not the acutal gays themselves, because Heath hasn't gotten nearl ythe praise that everybody though he deserves. Interesting.

Best Actress-
A week ago I would have said Felicity Huffman, hands down. As we all know, a transvestite Desperate Housewife is even harder to beat than a gay cowbody directed by an Asian-American. But, with Reese Witherspoon winning at the SAGs, I'm changing my mind. Because only actors get to vot for best actor/actress at the Oscars, and therefore a huge chunk of them probably also voted for her at the SAGs. On the other hand, this is the same logic I applied when Johnny was up for POTC, and look where that got me. Listening to Sean Penn shoot off his liberal mouth for ten minutes. My pick would be Keira Knightly, althouth the idea that she is already perfect and talanted and thin and gorgeous and funny and gets to live with Johnny Depp in the frickin' Caribbean for three monthss and then she would get and Oscar is a little sickening. Actually, a lot sickening.

Best Supporting Actor-
Really, I could care less. I think Paul Giamatti is going to get it, but I guess Matt Dillon could upset. Not likely, though. And nobody wants to award Jake Gyllenhaal for playing a gay guy, lest it give him any ideas. :P

Best Supporting Actress-
Rachel Weisz must win!!!!!!!!!!! And she will. My next pick would be Amy Adams because she looks so cute and happy all the time. And she was the candy striper from Catch Me If You Can. But I definately want Rachel Weisz to win.

Yeah, those are the biggies. We all know Ang Lee is going to win for best director, and the others really don't matter. Except that Batman Begins is up for some obscure award like Best Backlighting for something. That's probably going to be one of the ones that they pitch out into the audience. But I'll still be there cheering!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should soooooooooo be part of the red carpet crew....you are just great at this stuff......This has been a very slow "movie" year for me....I hate to admit I have not seen any...yes any...of the movies you have been talking about!!!!! I need to watch the Oscars just for the fun of it since I have no idea who should win....I will just "agree" with you because I do trust your opinion......yes you always have one....and I can identify with that!!!:):):)

Anonymous said...

Oh I just realized that I "lied"....I did see one movie you talked about....I saw "Catch Me If You Can"......so sad...that just might be the last movie I saw.....now how many Oscar years ago was that????????:):):)