Monday, August 07, 2006

In which Imladris and I bake a cake.

Featured below.

See how pitiful??? No, I kid, but it's a teensy bit lopsided becuse it baked unevenly, and also just a teensy bit almost falling over. But that's okay, as it is very tasy, which has led to it being just a teensy bit gone. Oh well. Still a little bit left. The excellent frosting job is courtesy mainly of yours truly, because Imladris cut herself on the frosting jar (???) and had to go take care of that. The frosting jar sitting in the trash literally licked clean? Courtesy of Imladris.

Excellent fun, though, even if it was just a Betty Crocker box mix. Much like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, Betty Crocker has made it impossible to screw her recipes up. The box practically says, "The egg goes in the bowl, moron." And I've tried to screw up macaroni and cheese---I've put too little butter in, I've used water instead of milk if we run out, I've even forgotton how much water to put in and just filled the bowl up. But it comes out tasting exactly the same every single time. I have a theory that if you just pour the noodles and the cheese sauce out into a bowl and let it sit for a couple minutes, you will come back and some sort of chemical reaction will have taken place and you will have a hot dinner waiting. I think the act of putting all that other stuff in is just to make you feel like you're helping. Makes you feel accomplished and domestic. It's a little sad when your idea of domesticity is Kraft noodles, but that's okay. Kraft will still love you.


So other than baking a cake, I didn't do too much yesterday. Went to Mass. Had very much trouble paying attention. Went to see Talladega Nights. Funny, but I still can't see why people like Nascar. And it's like some people's reason for living. There's this guy at work who will only talk about racing. He's nice, but it's driving me just a little bit crazy, especially considering that I don't understand a word he's saying. Will Ferrell was quite funny, though. As was John C. Reilly, who my sister has been unknowingly stalking for YEARS.

Slightly out of place political commentary: I was watching TV last night while eating dinner and the announcer honestly said, "Finally, could the breakthrough that paves the way for peace in the Middle East come tonight?" I almost choked on my fancy pants burger. Um. No. I doubt it. They've been fighting since, oooh, the Dawn of Time. I'm thinking they didn't just decide to give it up last night. And since I woke up this morning and the sky wasn't pink with Care Bears or some other peaceful change (although Care Bears always freaked me out), I'm thinking that didn't pan out.

Watched Platinum Weddings and Bridezillas at night. Colleen has decided that watching wedding shows with me is no longer fun, because everytime they mention a price, I scream about how many semesters that would be (seriously?All my books for your freakin' shoes?!?!?!?!). I think I'm getting on her nerves a little.

I actually like Platinum Weddings better, because the couples, while spending an obscene amount of money on a party, actually love each other. Not so with the Bridezillas. This one last night was such a bitch that she chewed out her mother-in-law for being late from the stage at her reception. And she was yelling at her husband about ruining "her wedding". Yeah. They're not making through the honeymoon. Crazy bitches.

Colleen has decided that I must have a platonic husband for a platonic unvivers like the one where she is married to Jack from Without a Trace and has coffee with Vivian, and is now scouring shows to find for me. Me? I prefer not to waste time fantasizing about platonic universes when CBS offers us so many other options. It just seems silly to me. ;)

On a slightly more intelligent note, I just read this wonderful book about Harpet Lee- Mockingbird. It's the first actual biography on her, because she's been so reclusive. It was so good, and I loved the part where it talked about her involvement with In Cold Blood, which I also just read. Apparently, she was not amused that Capote didn't thank her for writing like half of it for him, and it caused a serious rift in their relationship. Oh juiciness. It's so awesome---everyone should read it.

2 comments:

rockford said...

ok, I saw the cake and it did not look that sad in person!!!!:) Actually, it look quite good and was very tasty!!! I love how you did the CBS thing with one on each word - oh, we are so clever!!!! Yes, you do now count money according to how many semesters it will cover but I see that as a sign of financial maturity - I'm very proud of you!!! It his hard to imagine people being so into themselves as they appear on those shows - do you think anderson cooper watches those too????? Thanks for the update - always fun!!! We will be watching for those care bears.....:)

CMT said...

Oh, hardy frickin' har har. So I like frosting.

Yeah, the cake is pretty much gone now. It distracts me. Whilst it is in my house I cannot concentrate on anything else.

But I don't have to worry about being fat, as Jack and I have a completely platonic relationship, and the likes of Flack/Ryan/Danny are not allowed in The Platonic Universe.