Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In which we deal with old obsessions, new obsessions, and national tragedy. Oh. And my birthday. That's okay, I'm used to it.

Shall we start with the depressing one? Okay. Although if you'd prefer to start with something a little bit lighter, just scroll down to the next section, in which we discuss the power of the iTunes repeat button and how it can simulate actual human contact.

I was completely going to put up a "Five years later" post on Monday, but I got a little busy doing...well. I went out to dinner. And watched TV. And ignored my French book. Yeah. That took pretty much all day.

I couldn't really think of anything profound to say, because there really is nothing you can say. Not if you lived through it. Nothing can describe that sickening feeling we all still get whenever we see those pictures. I read a review of World Trade Center about a month ago, and the reviewer said that Stone added some CGI effects to fill in the stuff that we don't have on film, but it was weird because nothing, not even a computor, can create anything as horrible as that video of the second plane going in. I still stop breathing whenever I hear a breaking news thing. I don't think that will ever go away.

And I don't really even have a terribly dramatic "Where were you?" story. I was putting clearasil on. There were no phone calls to relatives in another danger (I know one person in New York, and we're hardly close), no delayed flights, nothing. I was just at home.

No matter how undramatic it was, I am so thankful that I was at home, though. I got to watch it- I was watching when the Pentagon was hit, and when the flight went down in Pennsylvania, and when the towers fell (by that time, it was just me and my sister). That's something very few people in my generation can say, because they were all in school. As horrific as it was to watch that day unfold, I'll be able to tell my children about it, and it's a little bit sad that most other people my age have only memories of sitting in school.

So as not to bring down the room, also on Monday was my birthday. Whee!!! We officially have too much food in the house. And with all of us back in school, it's not getting eaten and I'm actually a teensy bit thankful for my father deeply rooted Polish omg-the-Russians-are-coming-let's-freeze-everything philosophy. Because otherwise the cheesecake would have gone to waste. And that would be a tragedy. (Yeah, I just realized that I used the word tragedy. Obviously not as big a tragedy as the one discussed above...)

Got some lovely gifts, and I now have an iHome base, and a poster of Van Gogh's Cafe at Night on my wall. My sister gave me a membership to the art museum, but it hadn't arrived yet so she made quite possibly the funniest little note ever. It began with a picture of Alan with his head down and the caption said, "Alan is in despair." And then there was the whole, "No, seriously, it's coming blah blah blah" part, and then at the bottom was a picture of Alan and Daniel Radcliffe with a little caption that said, "Daniel showed up too, but Froya requested that he leave." I'm still laughing. (For those of you who don't get it, well, e-mail me. This is a family blog.)

I was going to scan it in here, but apparently we don't have the scanning software installed. *pout*



Gah! So many obsessions to write about! What am I going to do?!?!?! *deep breath* Okay. Nothing like the obsessions that will be completely overtaking my brain next week, when all of my shows come back. *sigh* Too bad I have to continue this school/work thing. No fun at all. *pouts*

Okay, first on the obsession list---Josh's new song is on iTunes, and he announced the release date (November 7). *squee!!!!!!* *faints* *is dead*

Okay, and the sad part? It's the only song I've listened to since I got in yesterday afternoon. I listened to it the entire way to work, the whole way home, on the bike this morning, in the car on the way to school, in the bus on the way to school, taking Mary home, getting home after picking up Colleen, and even now, on the background. It's beautiful. I love it. I may never turn it off.

Oh, and thanks to my trusty iHome base, Josh can now wake me up in the morning! Well, not really, because that would just be too good to...yeah. I'm not going to finish that. Because this is a family blog. ;)


In honor of my newest obsession, all of today's remaining icons will be from Bleak House. Which is the best thing to come out of BBC since Pride and Prejudice, and that was ten freakin' years ago.

Everyone. Must. Go. Rent. This. NOW. Of course, I am not including Mickey in this, as I know she has an aversion to all things cultural unless it has ears, but everyone else must go find it. I spent the entire weekend watching it, and then spent every waking moment of Monday and Tuesday finishing it. I could not wait until today to finish it, so I stayed up until close to midnight last night. Which was more of an ordeal than you might imagine, because Imladris didn't want me using my player, I couldn't find The Boy's underneath all of his crap, and so I had to use the one downstairs. It was worth it, though.

*teeny spoilers* Except I was a little bit bummed because by the end I was totally shipping Ester and Machete Boy's Uncle, even though it was a teensy bit creepy and Oedipal-esque. But her with the hot-in-that-Dickensian-way doctor is good too. *end of teeny spoilers*

And now I'm really kind of sad that I finished it!!! I want more!!!I'm debating whether or not to buy the DVD now, or wait and see if a special edition comes out around Christmas, because that's what they're doing in Britain. Decisions, decisions. I can't wait to read the book, because apparently the show the pretty faithful, but obviously you can be more descriptive in an eleven-hundred page novel.



They're cousins. Eww. Almost makes Ester and her boss/guardian/fiancee (but no one must know!!!) look normal.



Gillian Anderson was fantasic in this. Except she must have completely strained her face and neck muscles after looking so harshly for the entire time. Ick.

Don't hurt the stingrays, man!!! They didn't do anything to you!!!

Okay. Can somebody please strap them down and prevent them from reproducing again? My mom's first comment was about how hard it's going to be to drive with both of them perched on her lap. Hehehe.

Damn. And I thought it would last forever.

How about we finish the day by merging our old obsession and our British obsessions in one old British obsession? Mary and Colleen may fill in their own jokes...



ETA: I accidentally uploaded this to the wrong blog, and had to copy and paste, so if sentences don't have periods or something it's because it somehow got lost. Not sure how well the links fare when you copy, so let me know.

ETA 2 The Return: GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWAKE!!!!!!!!!!! MUST KNOW MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Arbiter-117 said...

Hey! I was there five years ago, too! AND I was there when the towers fell (not literaly, but in spirit)! WHY ARE YOU LEAVING ME OUT?!?!
*ahem* moving on...
good blog, but I will NOT go rent Bleak House. Don't you know me?
Keep up the good work and happy birthday!

CMT said...

WHAT. WHERE DID WE FIND BLEAK HOUSE ICONS.

Omg. I love Bleak House. LOVE.

mi_morena said...

Just search for bleak house icons. Pretty easy. It is officially My Favorite Miniseries Of All Time.

rockford said...

Loved the post and the Josh link was so informative - we better start saving for that 2007 toor, huh???? Your memories of five years ago was touching to read - yes, everyone remembers where they were but what I remember most is the feeling in those first few moments when you could not believe it was really happening - and then listening to the tv when the plane hit in Washington - my Washington was hit -- how could any of that be happening....such a day, such a day....thanks for the update....and glad you found a miniseries to love:)......

Racergirl179 said...

OMG OMG OMG!!!!!There's finally a release date for the CD!?!?! YEAH!

Has it really been 10 years since Pride and Prejudice? Doesn't seem that long?