Saturday, September 09, 2006

This is not the Kelly Kapur story hour!!!

But I suppose it is my story hour, because you all chose to read my blog, in which I have nothing to put but stories of my sadly uninteresting and rather bland life. Oh, well. Don't expect too much today, as I am not feeling terribly full of things to write about. Oh, but I did update my other blog.

So, Week One of Higher Education: I'm exhausted and slept for eleven hours last night and am considering murdering my Russian professor in his sleep. Because any man who thinks that you can re-learn to read and write in seventy-two hours when it took you eight years the last time (yeah, I was a little slow. I was deprived of oxygen at birth, not my fault.) should not be allowed among the living. Humph.



Had a really weird dream last night. I was five, and my mom and I and my brother, who had just been born only was named Christopher (not his real name, in fact, that was supposed to be my name if I had been a boy)were sitting on a porch swing (we didn't have a porch swing) and my mom was talking about how she and my dad were breaking up (they didn't), but he was taking a video of us and being remarkably friendly for a man abandoning his family. And Imladris, who should have been an omnipresent toddler, was nowhere to be found. Oh, and I was very articulate, which was decidedly not what I really was circa 1992. Weird, no?

It's better than Colleen's dreams, where she's being tortured or raped or something horrible. Girl's got dream issues, I tell you.

OMG, the trailer for The Queen? Unbelieveably awesome! I know, I know, you're all thinking, "Um...yeah, a British film about something that happened less than ten years ago in which all the major characters are still in power (which, I'll admit, is slightly weird), yeah, I think I'll pass." But don't!!!!!! It looks great. I've watched it twice, and have been moved, and uplifted, got a little teary, and then asked God to save the Queen, because even if she isn't my queen, I still have a strange affection for her, and feel the need to correct people who think she is a cold, unfeeling, ineffectual ruler. Because she's totally not, she just realizes that she can't be a big teddy bear and still be a Queen. And, in case it matters, I think she's a good grandmother.

Anyway, go see it now!!!

I'm there opening day. Who's with me???

Speaking of Helen Mirren, I am now her Biggest Fan. Up until yesterday when I rented Bleak House, I had been watching Elizabeth I in ten-minute segments while I get dressed or fold laundry and it. is. awesome. I'll watch anything about the Tudors, but this movie is one of the best I've seen. It really captures Elizabeth I as a fragile, kind of insecure woman, not as a frigid, "Virgin" (and I use that term *very* lightly) Queen. From what I've read, I don't think she ever really escaped being bastardized by her father, and everything she did after that was sort of a remedy for the awful things that had happened to her as a child.

I still think, however, that Virginia was wrongly named. Maybe Whore-town or something, but Virginia doesn't go.

Ciao, children!!!

3 comments:

CMT said...

OK, I am dying laughing from the Whoretown comment.

And I, too, have a strange affection for the British Queen. Perhaps it is because this whole place used to be Britain. I don't know. But I do sympathize with her.

But I think it's kind of weird to have the movie out NOW, when she's still in power, and this happened, like, what, nine years ago?

And yes, I do have hella dream issues.

CMT said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!

rockford said...

I, for one, love the state of Virginia and would object to your renaming it as such.....:) Roanoke,_______, just does not have the same ring to it!!!!!! As for your last post, which I missed commenting on, (sorry and saddness...) I think that the french prof is starting to look even better, am I right???? That relearning to read in 3 days seems a bit heavy even for a 4 credit class!!!! Good luck with your discerning what to do - NEVER an easy task to say the least but life is just so darn full of such little discernments.....