Friday, September 15, 2006

The solution to my literary baby name problem.

See? I'll bet you didn't even know I had one.

But I do. Because despite the fact that I am apparently covered in scales underneath my clothes (Thank you, Ms. Fielding), I have all of my hypothetical children named (at least they haven't started commenting yet, like my niece, Roma). Well, except that the names change. The perennial favorites are Anastacia (Tacy) because of Betsy-Tacy, and John, because, well, you're disowned in my family if you don't name one of your kids John. I'm half convinced that one of us is going to have all girls and have to call one of them John, just to keep on coming to Christmas.

But for years I have been searching for the perfect literary-inspired name. I'm such a book dork, and I want to name my daughter something that will remind me of one of my favorite stories, and will also give us a chance to have a touching moment when she asks me where I came up with her name (also, I have these hypothetical touching moments in my head a lot.). I will then give her my copy of the book that inspired her name, and she will read it, not knowing what it really means but still that it's important, and she will carry it with her all throughout her life, to college, her first apartment, after she gets married. See how touching? I thought so.

Problem. There are very few good, pretty literary names. Unless you want to name your kid after a cheating ghost (Rebecca---the heroine doesn't even have a name. Talk about your self-esteem issues), a simpering fool (Isabelle from Wuthering Heights), or a whore (Gone with the Wind). Of course, you could always go with your general Elizabeth, Jane, Catherine, but that's not too interesting, and maybe the kid will refuse to believe that you really did name them after this book and instead just picked a name out of the baby name book. Which is completely unacceptable, as it does not lead to dog-eared copy fantasies.

And Scout has been done already by the Moore-Willises. Boo.

But, thanks to the good people at the BBC and Charles Dickens, I have solved my crisis. I shall name my daughter Ada Clare. She, however, will not fall in love with her cousin. Not that Colleen's kids won't be adorable, but I will being having none of that. There is no room for incest in my hypothetical adorable, curly-haired daughter dragging around Bleak House fantasies.

*Blogger won't do icons. Blogger is not invited to the cozy hypothetical world.*

Weekend---yay!!! Have to work both days---boo. But I do get to be home for all my major premieres next week, though. YAY!!!!!!!!! Only have to miss Boston Legal, but I probably would have taped that one anyways. I am way more interested in my CSIs than how big my paycheck is.

Speaking of which, kinda, the Ponytail of Weath and Prosperity failed me last night, and was only saved at the last minute by Mickey swooping in and leaving a very generous tip (thank you, Mickey!!!). The Ponytail was also slightly off last time too. I don't know what it wrong with it. It's being cut next Thursday, so maybe it will feel better then.

Imdris wants the computer, so I shall have to go. A bientot!!! (I can't get the little cedille on there...)

4 comments:

CMT said...

Pheew. I was afraid there that you would decide to name your daughter Honoria, which has CLEARLY been earmarked by myself for my own future spawn since seeing Gillian Anderson's frosty-but-pretty portrayal of a doomed, ruined woman.

Not that I wanted my daughter to be either. But if she was, having a name like Honoria would lend itself nicely.

And yes, my children shall be unthinkably attractive, unless of course I selfishly marry Josh Groban, whose features the melding of my own with would spell aesthetic DISASTER, but no, they shall not be marrying your children. As Red Forman says, I'm not raising any flipper grandchildren.

And Ada Clare is a lovely name.

rockford said...

I have no doubt that you could come up with several beautiful literary names if you gave it some time and you will, most likely, not name your daughter John - much as I love the name......Roma would not like her girl cousin named John.....But the Tacy will give me such beautiful memories....those Betsy-Tacy stories are more than wonderful....good luck to the ponytail of properity today....but we will miss you on this long Sunday....

John T Jurkiewicz said...

It would be nice to think that your brother John was named after me, but then your other Uncle John probably thinks the same thing. Either way the child is blessed.
If I had been given my way my kinds would have been named Leonard, Roman, Eugene, Madge, Janice and Bertrand.

Anonymous said...

Frickin' update, Auntie. The lack of news has got Mommy all in a mood. And I think we all can agree that's not a good thing.