Thursday, April 03, 2008

Stories from my rather sad, narrow life.

I was sitting in the Grind this morning, trying to stay awake. This girl walks in with art history flashcards. Really huge, color-coded, way-more-work-than-I-ever-put-into-mine-but-oh!-how-wonderful!!! flashcards. Mary and I both glance absently at the top one and automatically go, "Peter Paul Rubens, The Arrival of Marie d'Medici at Marseilles, 1625" in tandem. And then Keelin laughed at us.

Also?


I became a feminist for like ten minutes in history class this morning. We were talking about the suffragette movement in Britain and all of their "unladylike" behavior, and holy flying shit, those girls were freaking HARDCORE, y'all!!! There was hunger striking, arson, imprisonment, messages burned on grass with acid, broken windows, and one crazy who even threw herself in front of the king's horse and was trampled to death as a demonstration.

It kind of makes our piddly little parades and Elizabeth Cady Stanton look sad.

I was all "YES! I VOTED AND DAMMIT I AM AWESOME!!!"

Even though I'm not British, so I can't even be thrilled by association. In fact, I'm Irish, which means my dad wouldn't have even been able to vote until the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829. Well, and he most likely would have been poor, so no cigar there either. And probably in Poland. You know what? This is confusing me, and I'm too tired.

So yay! Up with women and art history!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are allowed to vote....:)

Anonymous said...

Haven't you become a feminist on several other occations - for a few moments at least??? I can not remember exactly when, but I know I have heard that....does that mean you have some feminist leanings???? Aren't you thrilled that you are so educated that you know about famous works of art??!! I am so impressed!!!