Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Blurgh.

I have never seen the Pantheon. I know a lot about the Pantheon. I know that it was built in 125 AD by the Emperor Hadrian (Of wall fame...sorry. Little geek joke there.) as a temple for all the gods, and that it is actually the basis of the early Christian basilica plan, something we like to ignore because polytheism=icky. I know that the cool little carved out tiles on the dome are to relieve pressure because they hadn't quite figured out the whole important of the pointed arch in structural integrity yet, and that the oculus also serves this purpose but also lights the interior. Furthermore, I know that none of this would have been possible if the Romans hadn't figured out concrete, and then lost the recipe, thus damning the rest of the world to the Dark Ages for the next thousand years.

My cousin has seen it, and he has pictures, and now I have seen the pictures.

I believe this is when I started hitting him. Although that may have been at Bernini's baldacchino, actually.

That is all.

ETA: I just read this and it sounds bitter. I'm not bitter. I'm glad he had a great time, blah blah blah. I just REALLY WANT TO SEE THINGS AND NOT JUST LEARN ABOUT THEM.

3 comments:

CMT said...

Drop out of skool, git a reel educashun.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I agree with imladris on how to see the world -- but I know that someday that world out there will be yours to see -- I have no doubt that, when the time is right, you will be able to see all (ok, I hope not quite all...) of the things that we saw in the pictures last night---the art was so beautiful, it just seems that it is there waiting for your visit --- I wish I could help you get there.....no, I wish I could get there with you - oh, it would be such fun!!!!

Anonymous said...

There is always Epcot:):):)