Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Just one of the many benefits of the One True Church.

I read a book about the lives of the popes today, and my God, I do not know of any other group of so many crazy, murderous, simony-ing, concubining NON-PRIESTS (no, for reals, until like 1500 most of them weren't ordained), at least until about 1700 when they got their act together and from then on things were pretty good.

Anyway. This is something that you clearly need two thousand years of history to accomplish and the Protestants will never ever get to enjoy.

I was slightly amused and slightly riled by the fact that the author was practically canonizing John XXIII, but wasn't terribly impressed with John Paul II. John Paul II was the Pope from the time I was born until I was 17. As someone who came of age during the final years of his papacy and lived through his death and the subsequent outpouring of sympathy and love, this was such a foreign sentiment to me, and frankly, even taking into account the fact that he's now on his way to sainthood, uncalled for. I mean, the man did almost single-handedly fell communism. Reagan helped. A little.

Best part of all? Innocent III. Because clearly if you're going to know a pope, you should know Innocent III, am I right, Mary?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume I am not the Mary you are speaking to??? Because I don't know the answer:):):)

Anonymous said...

Ok, who is this guy??? Nobody sayes anything against John Paul II and just walks away!!!! How far into his papacy was this book written??? You need to read Weigel's book instead - he really understood what a saint he was....miricles were happening through him while he was still ALIVE!!! Usually you have to be dead for that to happen!!!! Not that I am sure John XXIII was a fine person - probably even better than fine - they do not come better than JPII!!!! Such attitudes disturb me!!!!! I must tell you how proud I am of you for reading such material though -- you are so much more educated than I am -- and there is nothing on earth worth more to be educated about than your faith - it is all that REALLY matters when all is said and done!!! Keep up the good work and keep educating yourself -- I am so impressed!!!!