Sunday, July 05, 2009

Not a little nuts...

I watched a lot of Sesame Street when I was a little girl. A LOT. I still know most of the lyrics to the songs. My mother was arguably more upset by Joe Raposo's passing than she has been at many family funerals. The year I was six was the best year ever because I was the same age as Big Bird.

We would sing and dance to most of the songs, of course, but the one that five-year-old me was crazy into was the Peanut Butter Factory song.

Oh. Did I love that song.

In the Sesame Street clip, there is a little Asian girl who is incredibly talented (we found out later that those kids were actually from the American Ballet School or someplace that grows talented children in petri dishes until they are needed on public television.

I? Am not Asian. Am not gifted with the dance. A major part of why I had to drop gymnastics was because they made me take ballet twice a week. Ick.

Five-year-old me was not informed of this, however, and, dammit, she would DANCE. I did the little running under the table move, the knee thing, the counter thing. ALL OF IT.

Fifteen years later, my mom is still laughing at the memory of my uncoordinated white self doing the peanut dance.

1 comment:

rockford said...

I'm NOT laughing AT it, I'm laughing because it brings me so very much joy to remember all of those wonderful Sesame Street filled days!!! It was the cutest thing ever when you would do the little peanut dance - or slide during the slide song - or Imladris would get off of my lap to spin around during "Sunny Day..." and, guess what, the song we always sang outside while we played was right - it is good we took every moment when we could to play, "before it gets too late to begin..." - much as I would still like it, I guess it is a little late to play out in the backyard...but we sure enjoyed every minute there was to enjoy!!! And we didn't even let school get in the way - we'd go outside for recess, remember when John would ring the bell for recess to be over??:) Even with all of our recess, all three of you are now carrying a 4.0 average, or very close to it, almost every semester...so I'm really glad we took all of the recess we did...!! Remember that when your little ones are little - and always watch Sesame Street with them!!!:)