Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Cable Is Out To Get Me

I am soooooooo agreeing with the Unibomber right now (no, it's not a threat. Sheesh.). It's not enough that Roadrunner is incapable of working, although that is true. I sat on hold with the cable company yesterday before I finally got to talk to a human being, now that she acted like one. Here's an excerpt of our conversation.

New Service Person- Hello, how can I help you?
Me: Hi, I've had Roadrunner for about a week and it breaks every single day. I think we need somebody to come out and take a look at it.
New Service Person: That should not be happening. Let me transfer you to Tech Help.
Me: No! No, we've talked to them four times, I need somebody to come out and... (too late. Brilliant New Service Person has already switched me.)
Tech Person: Hi, how can I help you?
Me: (Thinking: You can send me your address and watch for packages in the mail!) *repeats problem, becoming more desperate*
Tech Person: How long does it take for the Roadrunner homepage to load in?
Me: About two minutes, and then it's just a blank page.
Tech Person: Well, that should not be happening. Roadrunner is always on and ten times faster than DSL.
Me: *bangs head into table*

I think it's safe to say that that brilliant tech girl didn't turn down tenure at MIT for this position, right?

Thankfully, my mom took over before I could yell obscenities at "Bridget" and got transferred back to New Service and got a guy to come out and fix it that afternoon. Problem? The modem was broken and blocking all the signal, hence our not being able to get online. And he fixed it. I love him.

So, for a brief few hours, we were all fine and dandy, with high speed internet to play with to my heart's content.

But all was not perfect in paradise. We were supposed to have some rain last night. Which I thought was just fine because that meant a cold front was coming through and I wouldn't have to suffer through any more ninety degree days. And I like rain. But, as it turns out, it wasn't a little bit of rain, it was a torrential downpour with eight-mile-and-hour winds. Like get-in-the-basement winds.

We spent a little time in the basement, and the power went off for a minute. I didn't really think that much of it, as it came back on in a minute. So my sister and I are sitting on the floor reading magazines when my mom offhandedly comments on how the cable is out. Now, I knew this. But the ramifications of this hit Imladris and I at the same time, and we just looked at each other.

The season premiere of House was on that night, and we didn't have a TV. Worse, the cable company had an hour and twenty nine minutes to correct this problem if I wanted to watch the show I had been waiting for for weeks. My sister was almost as upset, and she just started liking the show this weekend.

Of course, keeping with their customer service motto "Maybe we'll fix it, maybe not", the cable company did not deliver. So Colleen and I spent an hour in the den hunched over this little teeny-tiny portable black-and-white TV.

At least the show was good. :)

2 comments:

mi_morena said...

trying to work this...

Anonymous said...

Love the MIT comment!!!!! :)