Saturday, September 17, 2005

Emmys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all- a little gossip...Tori Spelling and her husband have split up. Bummer. Why can not a single one of those 90210 girls keep a husband??? Anyhoodles, on with the real reason for the post...

It's the Emmys tomorrow!!! I've been without a major awards show since the Oscars in March (MTV or VH1 doesn't count) and it's killing me!!! But tomorrrow night I get to see all my little TV friends honored. Yay!!!

Of course, nobody in the Academy actually asked for my opinion, or the nominations list would have been significantly different. For instance, why isn't a single CSI person up for Outstanding Actor/Actress??? Even one of the Vegas ones??? I would be okay with that. And why is Will and Grace given fifteen freakin' nominations when it hasn't been funny is years and is now simply degraded to making the same disgusting jokes it's been making since 1998? The only nom it deserved was the one for Sean Hayes, because he's stayed funny throughout the whole thing. Eric McCormack??? Not so much. And way too pretty for a straight man. Matthew Fox (Lost)should have been nominated, too.

The catagories are kind of screwed up, too. For instance, what makes Desperate Housewives a comedy and Boston Legal a drama? They both are funny about fifty percent of the time and devote the other half to dramatic/soapy story lines. In fact, Boston Legal is more consistantly comical, ala Ally McBeal, than Desperate Housewives is. William Shatner hasn't said a single serious thing since the show's inception.

Anyhoodles, you know I'm gonna have opinions on this one, not that I ever don't, so here's my suggestions for who should win tomorrow night. Not that they will, because I tend to like hopelessly unpopular shows/people. Or people who, while being hoplessly popular, are denied their rightful awards in favor of affirmative action. *cough*Jamie Foxx*cough**ahem* Sorry, got off track there a minute...Moving on...

Outstanding Comedy Series- Arrested Development. Truly the funniest show on television. However, Desperate Housewives will probably win, because everybody loves a skank. Ugh. Still don't know why that's a comedy.

Outstanding Drama Series-Lost. I think, because of the cult following this show has, it may actually have a chance. Honestly, I've never seen Deadwood or Six Feet Under because I don't have HBO like seventy percent of this country, and 24 is just boring. And the West Wing hasn't been good in years. My best bet for an upset would be 24 or Six Feet Under, only because one's popular and the other just ended. Nobody has ever seen Deadwood.

Actor in a Drama Series- Hugh Laurie, House. I'm torn about this one. He's up against James Spader, whom I simply adore in Boston Legal, and would love to win, but he's Mr. Palmer!!! You can't beat that! And the show is amazingly good, although there was that one episode that has almost ruined it for me. But still, I think he is the best actor in the bunch. As much as I love James Spader, he won for the Practice last year, so the only two I could see coming close to Hugh are Kiefer Sutherland or Ian McShane. As much of a critical darling as Ian McShane is, I don't think the general public cares that much about him, and that's bound to influence voters. Everybody's got FOX, though, and 24 has quite a following. I'm still rooting for House, though.

Actor in a Comedy Series- Jason Bateman, Arrested Development. He's amazing on this show. But I wouldn't totally mind if Ray Romano gets it, either, for sentimentalities sake. But Bateman deserves it. If anyone else gets it I may have to hurt someone.

Actress in a Drama- Jennifer Garner, Alias. Honestly, she may not be the best actress in the bunch, but it's the only show I've seen. Well, except SVU. That's pretty good. So if Mariska Harigitay wins, that'd be okay, I suppose. Patricia Arquette doesn't have a shot, and I don't think the Six Feet Under person has enough of a following. Glenn Close is my practical choice, she's adored by the critics, and FX is cable and therefore edgy enough to be cool. But I don't know how long Alias will be around, especially now that she's pregnant, so I'd like her to get it.

Actress in a Comedy- We all know that Teri Hatcher is going to get it, so it's hardly even worth thinking about. But I think Patricia Heaton deserves it.

Supporting Actor-Drama-William Shatner/Naveen Andrews. I really love Lost, but I think William Shatner has the better part. And he won best guest star last year, so this could be the next logical step. I don't like Terry O'Quinn, and Locke freaks me out, so I don't want him to win.

Supporting Actress-Drama-I don't give a crap.

Supporting Actor-Comedy- Peter O'Boyle. I dont' think he's going to win, but it would be nice for the whole cast to have won Emmys. My next pick would be Sean Hayes, who is hilarious.

Supporting Actress- Comedy-Jessica Walter, Arrested Development. I think this is a long shot, because I have a feeling that Doris Roberts will win for Raymond, but still, she's got the best part in the bunch.

So yeah, that's pretty much the big categories. Obviously, I think House should win for best writing, but I don't even know what it's up against. The episode that's nominated (Three Stories) was really good, even for that show.

Everybody watch!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh I just love James Spader too.. :)

mi_morena said...

he's great---the character of alan shore was a stroke of genius...I can't wait until new episodes come back next Tuesday!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah....Alan and Denny were winners!!!!!