Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Long Awaited Update

I know, I know, you were all sitting at home over the holiday weekend constantly checking and wondering, "Where is Kathleen's update??? Well, my computor at home is still trying to kill me with a slow, painful, disconnected-from-the-internet death, and I could never get on the damn thing long enough to update. So you had to wait until I got back to school. And now I only have twenty minutes. This is also why I don't have a Tanglewood picture up yet...that should be coming on Thursday or Friday after the little Geek Squad guy comes and gives me high-speed internet again. I may love him. Anyhoodles, we have a lot to cover, as a lot has gone on...

First- diplomats are hot. Especially when played by a brooding Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardener. (No, Imladris, not in that "fabergeegg" way (btw, still laughing!!!). Brilliant movie, by the way. I mean, way too much Rachel Weisz (do you know how hard it is to find the "w" on the keyboard???), but other than thatl, brilliant. This is going to sound snobbish, but it's really not, because sometimes I love nothing more than a good stupid romantic comedy or mindless action/adventure flick, but at the end of summer it's kind of nice to see a movie that makes you think, but is still good and entertaining. Everyone should go see it. Torture scenes are kind of disturbing, though.

Oooh, I saw Red Eye with Imladris and Mary on Sunday...this, too, was a really good movie. Not stupid horror-flicky at all. I mean, except for that bathroom scene, Rachel McAdams was totally dressed at all times. Unlike the usual heroines, who appear to wander around in their perfectly coordinated underwear all day. And Cillian Murphy is brilliant as a creepy guy with weird eyes. Seriously, they're this close to albino. Despite Mary's objections that "too much of it took place on a plane" (it's called plot, sweetie), it was quite good.

Hmmm...oh, Rehnquist died, but I'm assuming you all knew that. It's so sad, but he was looking really bad towards the end. I mean, in January at the innauguration, those other justices were circling like vultures who saw dead meat. And W nominated Roberts to his post. Which would be good, if Roberts is as conservative as he says he is (lets not forget Souter, children. Benedict Arnold for the 20th century). He's only fifty, so he could be shaping the laws for thirty-forty more years. I mean, technically we were still feeling Nixon's influence, as he appointed Rehnquist. Anyway, I kind of wish that he hadn't died until after Roberts was confirmed, because it would have been a lot easier. However, that would have left a hole on the court with a month to go before the next term starts, which is kind of scary. At least this way, if Roberts is confirmed as Chief Justice, there will still be nine members of the court for the fall term, as O'Connor has said that she will stay until they confirm her replacement. Rehnquist made no such promise. :p Can you tell I love constitutional law???

Don't you hate it when a TV show comes out on DVD, and it's on sale, and you think "Oh, I heard about that. I wonder if it's a good show. Maybe I should start watching it." And then you do, and fall in love with it ("it" being the operative word, girls, not "him") and by the time you realize this the DVD set is not on sale any more and you face the choice of never seeing the entire first season or coughing up more money than you have right now (most of which is earmarked for the roughly ten DVDs that are coming out in the next month and a half that I feel compelled to buy)??? Sheesh. That birthday check had better arrive soon. ;)

For those who don't know and haven't heard my whining about this for the last week, that happened with me and House. Such a good show, and I've only seen like three episodes, and now the DVD is $44.99. Well, it's $41.99 on amazon, but by the time you pay for shipping it's way cheaper to buy it at an actual store. This sucks. At least the season premeire is next week. Except I don't like Sela Ward. She's way too Desperate housewives for me, you know, way too tight skin on her forehead, a better body than most twenty-year-olds, and that I'm-a-strong-woman-but-I'm-wounded-and-vulnerable-somebody-please-love-me look. You get the feeling she goes home at night and cried into her botox.

I have to get to class, and I'm sitting next to a smoker who is making me gag, so I'll be going now!!! I'll update later if I think of anything else.

No comments: