Monday, January 16, 2006

Books and Crap

I just had to go buy my books for next semester. Which made me realize that I was in fact going to have to leave my house and go back to school at some crazy-soon date such as Monday. They don't let me watch Regis and Kelly there. I don't like that.

Anyhoodles, found a perfectly good used book for one of my classes, which saved thirteen dollars, but they only had crappy ones for the others. Bummer. But it was still only seven dollars more. I have a bone to pick with college bookstores. They know you need the books, and so they inflate the prices obscenely high. My stinkin' little paperback copy of Hamlet cost fifteen dollars. Crazies.

And then I found a class that I really want to take bases soley on the fact that I fell in love with the books. It's all about Russia- and they get to read War and Peace!!! The textbook was even entitled "Imperial Russia"...how awesome would that be??? But it's at a really crappy time (three hours at night) and I'd have to miss House, and it would cost a lot of money, so I'm probably not going to do it. But I am going to go buy a paperback copy of War and Peace that hasn't been thrown in Lake Michigan. Plus whatever school I end up going to is probably going to have some sort of history class like that. See, this is my problem. I can't seem to realize that I have four years left of college. I've been in this "I've got to get this class and this class" mindset for three years and it's really hard to think that I have eight semesters left to fill.

But then I started to get nostalgic, because I realized that this was the last time I'd ever buy books at this particular school. Which made me a little bit sad. I love it there. It's small, safe, comfortable. I know how to do things there. And they have excellent parking. Which is a rather big practical plus, don't you agree??? The two schools I'm looking at both have crappy parking which means I'd probably have to ride with my dad or something, even if I end up being able to afford a car. Grrr.

On slightly more happy school-related news, I got into my first-choice school last week. Yay for me!!! My friend called and told me she got in, which freaked me out because I get a little freaky competitive, but I got my letter later that day. Of course, I can't begin to afford to go there, but it was nice to be accepted. Escpecially since they gave me a comfy t-shirt at the interview that it awesome for sleeping in, and I was worried I'd never be able to wear it again if I didn't get it. Because I'm weird like that. Like I could never wear a Harvard sweatshirt unless I'd actually attended Harvard. Which I don't. Because 1.) I sincerely doubt they'd be banging down my door to accept me and 2.) I can't even afford Marquette. That's like lunch money at Harvard.


Golden Globes are on tonight---yay!!! Whoo!!!!! Johnny seriously needs to show up. And Joaquin Phoenix needs to seriously lose. But all the magazines I've read have said that Hugh Laurie is pretty much a lock, which is awesome because I'm not having a moral dilemma like during the Emmys. However, the people I want to win very rarely do. It's just a fact. I'm convinced that if I hadn't have been hyperventillating while they were announcing the winners last year Johnny would have won. Because he totally could have beat Leo's ass. He's not even that cute anymore.
But look for my post-show opinions tomorrow morning. Because you know they're gonna be good... ;)


I also finally put up that stuff about Lost and CSI last week on my TV blog, so check that out, k??? Have a good Monday everybody...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soooooo happy about your school situation....good luck picking the right school for you!!! I might miss some of the show tonight, but here's to Johnny......I will read your TV blog...that too is always good reading!!!:):):)