Monday, January 30, 2006

SAG Awards- BOO!!!!

With the notable exceptions of the Lost cast and Sean Hayes, the Screen Actors Guild didn't vote for anyone that I wanted to win. Which sucked. Especially since this is the last awards show that features TV shows as well (i.e., House won't be honored again until next September). And then when it came to the movie categories, I didn't really even have favorites. Except I wanted Rachel Weisz and Reese Witherspoon to win, and they did.

That's a problem for me this year. Usually I have a clear favorite that I will be hawking to anyone who will listen for about six weeks before the awards on the off chance that they are a part of the HFPA or the academy. Rarely if ever is this the case, but I will still sing its praises. No such movie this year. And when they show clips of all the movies and Brokeback Mountain is the most fun because at least the people are pretty, you know something isn't going well. :P

They made the disasterous choice to pick Keifer Sutherland over Hugh Laurie, whose acceptance speech clearly would have kicked Keifer's ass, and they chose some woman for dramatic actress. Who was so important I forgot her name. Except I know it wasn't Geena Davis (who made a disasterous choice of her own when she decided to accent her incredibly ginormous frame by having a dress that simply propped up her breasts. Ick.). And while I was happy that Sean Hayes was rewarded, and his acceptence speech rocked, I wanted James Spader to win.

Especially since I won't be able to watch Boston Legal this week. Damn State of the Union.

Except that when they did the pan of all the losers you could see him mouthing to his date that he really didn't want to go up there. Which I guess is okay. It's kind of like how I feel when Johnny wins (except that I haven't decided to deocorate my room in a James Spader-motif. That would be weird. Eww.), because I know he doesn't really want to speak. Not that ANYBODY gives him a chance to, but whatever. Sheesh. And then when it got to actress in a comedy I was totally rooting for like 80% of the people nominated, and they picked the one that I didn't want to win. Buggers.

The movie categories were okay, I guess. Reese Witherspoon won (YAY!!!) and Phillip Seymour Hoffman got best actor, which is okay because he looks like kind of a nice guy. And frankly, I feel sorry for him for having to do that Capote voice for the whole shoot. It must have completely wrecked his vocal cords.

I love how nobody's getting upset of Capote, which is essentially the same thing as Brokeback Mountain, except with less attractive people. What, is the gay lifestyle only objectionable if pretty people you really, REALLY hope are straight are doing it???

And in a rather surprising but not any more interesting choice, Crash won for best ensemble...which was actually who I was rooting for that that Ryan Phillipe can have a SAG too and maybe won't feel so emasculated anymore. Because that's just a little bit sad. Still, somebody needs to nominate some fun pictures here!!! Although, really, I can't think of any. Oooh, Pride and Prejudice. It should win an Oscar. BTW, I think nominations are released tomorrow moring, so is anybody else going to be up at five watching E!??? Who's with me??? Anybody??? No one? Okay, whatever. And you call yourself fans.

Two great moments, though, before I leave for class.

1.) Eva Longoria hugs Ryan Seacrest for not being Isaac Mizrahi. I guess I'd be pretty scarred too if a gay guy asked about my bikini wax on national television.

2.) S. Epatha Merkeson thanks her divorce lawyers and then breaks out in a crazy fit of maniacal laughter. It was crazy awesome, and broke up a rather traditional evening.

Okay, really late now...

3 comments:

CMT said...

I officially love S. Epatha Markerson for that. And officialy pity poor Eva Longoria, who I usually wouldn't pity since she's tiny and cute and freaking rich. But really, sexual harassment by a gay designer is really scarring. Although I'm almost positive there isn't anything I wouldn't do for that little black dress he designed which is currently unavailable...no, no, kidding, kidding!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am soooooooooo sorry but I just don't think I will be able to watch tv at 5:00 a.m......just not a real morning person!!!:):):) I really like S. Epatha Markerson since she is from Law and Order. I wasn't able to watch the award show, but I saw a clip where Ms. Markerson stated she wasn't 30 and a size 2....that is the comment I reallllllly liked:):):) Once again you have a great blog!!!!!

CMT said...

Congrats on getting accepted to college! :)