Saturday, January 07, 2006

Insomnia Is Not Fun

It just isn't. Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of it. (No pun intended.) I was awake until three last night, which would have been absolutely terrible if it hadn't given me the opportunity to finish The Moonstone. Amazing book. T.S. Eliot called it "the first and greatest of English detective novels." Shockingly, given my predisposition to criticize pretty much anyone I feel like (great literary figure or not), I am in full agreement with T.S. here. It's also the longest- my little paperback was close to five hundred pages. And completely absorbing from beginning to end.

It was that rare combination of classic literature and a compelling and really rather modern story. I'm not saying I don't appreciate every single book I've ever read, but some (*cough*The Scarlet Letter*cough*) made me just kind of grit my teeth and suck it up in the interest of becoming well-read. Take, oh, The Scarlet Letter for example. ;) By the hundreth page I wanted to go into the village just start screaming. "Yes, Hester, you are a whore. And no, you should not have done that with a clergyman. But really, pal, you were there too. And people, really, what is your problem??? You're a bunch of uptight hypocrites who don't know how to dress. And really Pearl, what the hell is your problem??? Children born out of wedlock do not necessarily have to glow!!!!" Ugh. Thank goodness it was only two hundred and fifty pages long.

Anyhoodles, everybody should go buy the book now, k???


So I did my bi-annual room cleaning escapade yesterday. It went signficantly better than the above entry. The worst I found were magazines from last June. Nothing from schools I attended three years ago. That's good. I did, however, find the shoe I've been looking everywhere for. The pretty black high heel with the little buckle/bow thingy...so pretty. I'm so happy I found it. I did notice, however, that I seriously have got to stop buying books and DVDs. Seriously. I couldn't fit it all on the dresser to move the bookshelf. I have no self control. I disgust me.


My aunt's in Disney World right now. And I'm not. Boo. Not that I really want to be, but really, we just tied a freakin' record for gray days. How much not-fun is that??? While it makes driving with glasses that are sans-sunglasses significantly easier, it's pretty damn depressing, no???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No....insomnia is not fun!!!! Soooo sorry you are having problems!!! Atleast you have good books... Soooooo glad you found the cute shoe....nothing worse than not finding all your cute shoes!!!!! I have heard that the Disney World area is having some very coooooollllllldddddd weather and some vacationers are needing to buy Mickey Gloves...can you believe it?????:):):)

mi_morena said...

*gasp* Not Mickey gloves!!! And I know how opposed some vacationers are to buying completely needless and blatant product-placement stuff...or not. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes.....I am a very smart shopper....I would never buy something just because it displayed a picture of an adorable mouse....or something....never....never....
never....:):):)