Monday, April 02, 2007

We shall war with France. And then I can play.

All hail the Lovely Mary's Lovely Consort Nick, who is in possession of Showtime and tapes and therefore I will have the episodes of The Tudors, in all of their uncut Showtimey goodness, almost as they air. Life is good.

Just a couple of thoughts on the Tudors, because as you may have been able to divine from the past---oh---two years of posts, there is nothing I like more than a juicy-if-completely-inaccurate-royal saga (see: the entire summer of '05, or When I Convinced Myself I Was Russian).

- Thomas More? Sexier than previously assumed. Oh, I am so going to hell. The special hell for people who want to sleep with saints.
- Prepare for Reign? Probably the best tagline ever. I'm thinking of having it tattooed somewhere. Right after I send in my transcripts to St. Thomas More College.
- OMG I TOTALLY WANT THE POSTER!!! Somebody buy it for me, please.
- Okay, so I'm thrilled and humbled that IMDB offers the first two episodes, but they majorly edited them. I am not amused. Yeah, I'm sure there's something about it being a family site or whatever, but I seriously doubt that any person searching for and watching any episode of a Showtime series is going to be irreparably harmed by seeing some woman's breast. Get over it.


As of Wednesday night when I realized that I was about to start Year 2 of working towards a career that I don't want and consequently had a major breakdown that involved me flipping out on the sofa until Bones came on, we have a New Life Goal here in the Realm of No Marketable Skills, Talent, or Drive to Succeed- I've changed my major to history, and am now considering either law school (in very few situations is law school the easy way out, but I think it might apply here), or going on and getting a PhDin history and then teaching. Or, I'm going to die in grad school.

Having no marketable skills is a difficult thing, but having one marketable skill (writing) that you don't want to market is even more difficult, and when I actually thought about it (something I try to avoid at all costs), the only thing I can think of being happy doing is teaching. Either little kids or adults. And I'm way too shallow to survive on thirty grand a year for the rest of my life. So there. New Life Plan.

Please, before you automatically assume that this will be replaced by, oh, I don't know, kineseology or something in like three weeks, and begin to scroll through this, bear with me. I'm serious this time.

First, I'm going to be a sophomore, so I really do have to make up my mind about SOMETHING soon, or I will have spent two years starting every major in the College of Letters and Sciences. Not recommended.

Also, this time I did not make a decision under the influence of the emotional wreckage caused by graduation (art history), failure of requirements for another major (journalism), plan to marry a prime minister (international relations), or a hot TA (psychology). I am going to be at UWM for a long, long, long time (no emotional problems), I'm doing quite well in all my classes (no French---whee!!!), I realized it's a crapshoot to marry a prime minster because you have to get them while they're young or people think you're a gold-digging whore and then you're not sure whether they'll be rich or unemployed (no pipe dreams). So I have managed to make a decision without emotional distress. Am quite proud of myself.

And yes, I realize that this sounds like every other resolution I've made regarding my education, but this time I really think it makes sense. Of course, this is coming from the girl who has had 125% more majors than semesters completed, but whatever.

Dissertation topics, anyone?


Continuing with my crusading movie mini-marathon, I'm almost finished with Kingdom of Heaven, which much like Troy, apparently kicked ass at the overseas box office. Which would explain why the United States managed to come further in 250 years than the French ever have, even with a 1200 year head start.

I started watching it last week, but I was so exhausted that I fell asleep, and when I woke up Orlando was in Jerusalem already and shtupping the Bond Girl (btw, I bought the movie, and Natalie was right---it was worth it...) and I was very confused. So I had to start it over.

Tears for the fact that we never get to see Edward Norton though (although the mask thingy was kind of hot...okay, it wasn't, but still), and that he's dead with an hour left to go in the movie. *sigh* Why must the hot die young?

Well, I'm sure I had other things to talk about, but frankly I can't remember any of it. I've been interrupted writing this by two runs to pick up Colleen, two people at the door, and three phone calls.

So this is all you're getting. How I Met Your Mother tonight---*does happy dances*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[smirks]