Monday, September 10, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me...

I don't get somber on this blog very much; in fact, I can only remember doing it one time before, when I finished high school. Generally I'm a pretty upbeat person- at least when I'm not whining about customers or the eighteen freaking tests I have to take this freaking semester. Except then.

But I'm feeling somber now. One of my best friends left today. We were very close, and while it's totally different than my friendships with people I've known my entire life like Mary, I loved her and her friendship just as much.

I was fifteen years old when I met her. We went though high school, "graduation", jobs, the first part of college, falling in love, my mom's illness, and her engagement together. I was going to be her maid of honor. The day my mom found out she had cancer again, she was the only friend I wanted to see- I knew she'd be supportive and understanding.

I'll be twenty years old tomorrow. She'll be starting boot camp and probably facing deployment to Iraq within eight months. Part of me is excited for her embarking on this new opportunity, but a huge part of me is scared out of my mind because she's decided to diffuse bombs during a war. I should be patriotic and support the troops. I just don't like it when I know a troop.

But more than being scared for her, most of all I'll really miss her.


{End Somber Part, Begin Normal Shallow Part}

So, I cleaned up today in terms of presents. Gift cards from Kate and Steve, and a fantastic books about my favorite Teacher-Lacking-Testicles. Complete with a hand-drawn illustration and note that makes it easily one of the best presents I've ever gotten, even if no one would understand it.

:)

Slightly somber, but not as bad as war, the computer de famille is completely dead. Apparently you're supposed dust the venty thingies on the side? To prevent dust build-up? That will burn the mother board into oblivion? Causing it to die?

Who knew?

Okay, now I suppose it says something like that in the instruction manuel, but if something as simple as dust can cause MAJOR SHUTTING DOWN Y'ALL OMG, I think it should be in bold print. At least.

So it is back to Best Buy we go. They know us there now.


It is finally cold. And I can wear a sweatshirt. And Starbucks had pumpkin spice lattes. *sighs* All is right with the world.

Finally, the metric assload of LOLCats that I've accumulated over the past week---

MOMMEE!!!

I am in ur printer...

HAHA Scholarly cat!!! *ahem*

Awww...

And, the funniest/cutest of them all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful birthday....your blog was very touching and the lol cats are great....

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Honey!!! I hope that your day is wonderful...you deserve the very best that life has to offer...you are and always have been so VERY, VERY special and we love you so much!!!!! as for the rest of your blog - I am so sorry about your "troop" leaving - I know that I do not know exactly how you feel and how much you will miss her, but all day yesterday I just kept having this random empty feeling and thinking about all of the days and times all of us sat around our kitchen island or went out for bagels -- those were really good days with you and with the new little "troop" and I just can't believe that she has gone - I just pray that God will protect her and make her life happy and that she finds what she is searching for....

CMT said...

First part: *cries*

Second part: YAY pumpkin spice latte!