Thursday, September 13, 2007

In which I have two irrational outbursts and discuss the pitifully overlooked film "Snowcake"

Irrational Outburst #1: I effing hate the Milwaukee County transit system. So. Hard.

First, there was apparently a massive population surge circa 1988 and now there are entirely too many college students riding MY bus this year, forcing me to *gasp* stand for the majority of my commute. And in case anyone reading this has never been shoved between sixteen people, trying desperately not to brush into their...um...sensitive areas, lest one be labeled overeager/whorish/a lesbian when one occasionally falls off of one's four-inch platforms as the bus travels at alarming speeds down the the freeway, oh, and trying not to sneeze or breath because other people are sneezing and breathing one's own diseased air, I don't recommend it.

At all.

Also, without the helping hand of the MCTS, I wouldn't have stood outside for twenty five minutes this morning waiting for a bus that didn't come, finally giving up and driving down to campus, parking in some level that may or may not have been into the mantle of the Earth, paying two dollars and hoofing it to the building far far away where my lecture was half over, only to realize that I could have stayed home and watched the movie Thirteen Days and received the same information.

Yep. Being picked up on time, dropped off in front of my building all for free wouldn't have been nearly as much fun.

*le frustrated sigh*

Irrational Outburst #2: I am over the whole Boy Being in School thing. Not that I'm not pleased that he is having a good time and all that, but he has homework. That he feels the need to do in common areas of the house, thus preventing me from watching The View (my VCR is rather territorial and refuses to play anything that was not recorded on it...thus negating my ability to watch it upstairs). Also, it is math homework.

You know, the "Sally and Jessie and Raphael each have two red socks, and Sally has a black sock, but Raphael is two years older and Jessie has two oranges, so how long would it take them before they get to the museum if Sally's mom drives at 35 mph and there's a train coming from San Antonia at 250 mph?" sort.

Also leading to endless hours of conversations like the following-

Boy: Wouldn't six hours be $240?

Mother: No. Think about it.

Boy: I am, and with the sixty dollars and hour plus the fee...

Mother: Just for the first two hours. After that you take x, divide by y, and multiply by z.

Boy: Of course, but then you have to factor in density, as well as the laws of probability, and that would be $240!

Morena: *ears bleed*



My birthday was on Tuesday, and it was lovely and I was showered with gifts that I have yet to find a place for, and then was treated to takeout and a few North and South episodes (not the Patrick Swayze version). Yayness.

But perhaps more importantly, Snowcake was released on DVD. And for those of us in the United States where they deigned not the FREAKING SHOW IT IN THEATERS, it was the first time watching it.

It was really good, kind of sad, but ultimately uplifting. I loved the part at the end because Carrie Ann Moss's (who I never really liked before) face was priceless, like "I can't believe I'm doing this..."

Also? Grieving ex-con is a very good look of Alan dear.


I have no links, but a few Lolcats for you---

One that rang particularly true given our current computer situation. As of last night that was resolved finally, though, much to the rejoicing of the villagers my family.

I agree, Lolcat, I agree.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that mass transit thing is sooooooooooo awful.....you poor thing....I do so love your blogs!!!!!! The school commentary was great math word problems = nightmares!!!!! and I luv the lolcats...toooooo funny:):):)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the bus this morning and then you had to spend your free time driving and sitting in a waiting room --- then of course there was the homework situation....you do want the poor child to have an education, don't you???? Try to keep smiling -- or at least writing such funny blogs!!! Thanks for the funny book too .... it helped my day to relive my law school times!!!!

CMT said...

Luv the lolcats.