Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Spring is Sprung

Doesn't it always seem like Holy Week is unseasonably warm? I don't know if that's really true, it just seems to be that way in my experience. Ya like the new template??? Ooooh, pretty colors...I'm sure I'll get bored in a month, but for now I'm lovin' this one. BTW, this was the template I had when I first started this blog. Oh the history...


Oh, Orlando. How we love your vapid cuteness.

Busy morning. Let me tell you, you do not miss the extra fifteen minutes of sleep that you get until it's gone. I got up early to drive Imladris to school, and then went to business law. Yeah, nothing like negotiable instruments to wake you up at eight o'clock. Then I had to go write our opinion paper with my Justice partner. Yeah. If they were going for authenticity, they should not have had every justice write an individual opinion. Then I ran errands. And now I want to go to sleep and not wake up for a very, very long time.


HAHAHAHA...that's so me. :) No, I kid, I've never actually stalked anyone. Speaking of me, though (it's my blog, so I guess we were...), I got a letter yesterday from a company I had applied for a scholarship from saying that my essay was going to be published in their upcoming book of student authors. Of course, I'd rather have the money, which they'll decide if I get by the end of June, but this is pretty cool too. About 5000 essays come in, and they only accept the top 3%...which is 150 essays...and of those they pick around ten to give money too. And I really want the money. But I am quite pleased with myself...


So I was bumming around the internet waiting for my hair to dry, and I came across this article. And it got me thinking. What was the novel that impacted my life the most? Further signifying what little life I had, I actually thought about this, and decided that I shouldn't count Nancy Drew (which pretty much accounts for my entire formative period) or Betsy-Tacy, even though those are some of the best books I've ever read, and focus on adult novels. I have to say that it's a dead heat between Wuthering Heights and Gone With the Wind. I read Wuthering Heights when I was twelve and sitting on a hospital floor and really, really needed something interesting to disappear into. And I've gotta tell you, the English moors and a hot brooding guy beats St. Luke's any day. That was the book that really got me reading the classics. And then Gone With the Wind was just such an amazing story. I read it for the first time when I was thirteen, and loved it so much that when I finished it I cried. A lot. And then I sat down and read the whole thing again. (I read it again last year, and was amazed at how much I missed...I was pretty damn innocent then...)

So what was the book that influenced your life the most? (Imladris and racergirl, I want comments!!!!!!! Anonymous is just going to put a travel guide to Walt Disney World...;))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW.....I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impressed with you...well I always have been, but now with the essay and all....WOW!!!!!! Oh that would be soooooooo great to have you get some $$$ also:):):):)...Oh how well you know me...what book has played an important part in my life...it is hard to narrow it down to one book because I have 8 Disney travel guides and 2 Las Vegas travel guides..(you forgot about VEGAS BABY!!!)...I would have to say the Disney guide from 1993 since it was the first and I had soooooo much to learn.....:):):)What can I say...by the time I bought the 2005 issue I really could have written the thing:):):):)...wow hard to believe how deep I am:):):):) ....maybe I could write an essay and win some $$$...:):):) .....ok maybe not!!!! Congratulations again....you soooooooooo deserve all the good things you get:):):)

CMT said...

Well, time was, the book that most influenced my life would probably have been 'Little Women', just because I luvs me the Marches TO DEATH and it kind of was my map for navigating childhood (strange how that holds up after 150 years, huh?) but now I'd have to say that dear Miss Louisa May and her Marches have been bumped to the Number 2 slot...To Kill A Mockingbird is, bar none, The Best Book I've Ever Had The Good Fortune To Read, and I do think it's changed my life and made me a more humane person. Wow long comment.

rockford said...

Yes, I do like the new template and the historic angle is great--just where you started more than 200 posts ago:)...I love the article about the book-although I believe the colin firth reference is in fact the movie - I don't think they have pictures in the book!!!! too bad, huh??? I did love watching the movie with you and Imladris....Congrats on the essay -- you are such a talented writer that you can get published even when you are so mad and do not want to write said essay!!!! Where would you be if you had wanted to write that day????Almost scary , isn't it!!!!?? I do hope that there is financil reward also - would that be fun or what!!! I, too, as you know, loved the Nancy Drew and most of all the Betsy Tacy books - oh, what loverly stories they were of frienship and easy wonderful times, weren't they, yet just as meaningful today as when they were written -- i still want your picture on that bench in Mankato...maybe this summer because it is cooler as you head north:)