Sunday, May 27, 2007

Oh, those three were aesthetically pleasing, let's just let it go now.

I promise I won't spoil anything, in case Mickey doesn't want to know how it ends. :D



So, Pirates. I've been to see it twice, I've written a bunch of emotional blog posts and facebook away messages about it. It really was amazing, really a fantastic ending (?) to the trilogy, and definitely made up for the admittedly not-as-great-as-the-first-one Dead Man's Chest (Still loved it, though. My fandom is still intact.)

It wasn't even the plot so much that I absolutely loved (because honestly I couldn't follow it a lot of times), but the whole thing.

I loved crazy Jack. And not just because multiple Jacks are every fangirl's dream.

I loved the whole surrealist Dali-persistence-of-memoryness of the whole Davy Jones's Locker.

I flippin' *loved* Barbossa. Not as a fangirl, but I was SO happy that he was in so much of the movie, because he clearly rocks.

I loved Norrington, who was hot even struggling to pick a side.

I even loved Will, who got like ten time hotter than I ever could have imagined in the last ten minutes.

Only two teensy problems with the whole thing. One was Beckett. He was kind of dropped injust to distract us with no introduction and a vague back story alluding to "betrayal" that never got explained, like the writers realized that they needed a new British guy with a pole up his ass for us to hate. In some cases, this can work. If a villain is bad enough, the audience will accept it and hate him automatically. (Think Barbossa in the first one. Why was he a bad pirate and Jack a good one? That makes no sense actually.) It didn't work here, he's not a strong enough character. It was just like, "Wait. What?" for most of it.

Also, he changes height like six times in this movie. Although frankly if I had to be on screen with Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp I'd at least want to be as tall as them. I'd probably wear lifts too.

And the whole Calypso turning into a giant thing. I caught myself thinking, "Okay, well now it's just ridiculous," and then I realized that I was able to just accept undead pirates and a freaking Kraken but the giant upset me?

But my favorite moment? *teensy spoilers ahead* When Barbossa calls Elizabeth Mrs. Turner. It was just a such a sweet thing and it was like, "Oh! They remembered!!!"

Gah. I love this movie SO HARD.

2 comments:

CMT said...

Sorry, I have something in my eye. *gasping sob*

Ditto to everything you just said, though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking of Mickey who just hasn't had time to see the lastest and greatest movie yet!!!! Sounds great....can't wait to see it....yeah for Johnny:):):):)