Thursday, June 21, 2007

Would you like to hear today's specials? Not if you'd like to keep your spleen.

So I haul myself into the back room this morning at some ungodly hour after being up ALL FREAKING NIGHT (to be discussed), all decked out in my regulation tight blackness (not sexy tight blackness, but rather utilitarian-food-service-is-my-life tight blackness). And Aaron goes, "Look in your mailbox. I got you a present." I finally focused my eyes, and saw, in all it's uncut glory, a DVD of American Psycho. "I got you almost-naked Christian Bale!!!"

And my day got So. Much. Better.

I'm pretty sure that violated some sexual harassment law. I don't care. Especially since there rest of the day included such comments by various people (not me), such as "Why do only the women remember to bleed (the steamer wand)???" and "Come on, slap it like...oh wait, I can't finish that," (It was about a drink. I swear.), made in completely non-offensive ways.

The reason I was not my normal bright-eyed, cheerful self this morning (*heh*)? Yesterday was tasting day. We made all the amazingly good cold coffee drinks, and all the sandwiches, and then ate and drank them all. Except that the full-fat espresso beverages outweighed the solid food about six to one.

I was so unbelievably sick by the time I got home. I tried eating some potatoes or something starchy, but it totally did not help.

And with all the caffeine and nausea, sleep was simply not going to happen. It was really hot. So I opened the windows and turned on the fan. Which did nothing. I thrashed about in the heat for about three hours, until I finally tore all the covers off at about one. By this time, the fact that there was hot air coursing through the upper levels of my bedroom without any of it actually hitting me had scared up a ton of dust and allergens and I could barely breath I was sneezing so much. After an hour, that was starting to bug me, so I got up and remade the bed. And thrashed for another two hours. Still sneezing. And then gave up and read until four thirty, when I finally fell asleep only to be reawakened rudely by my alarm scarcely two hours later. Still sick. And sneezing. So I took Benadryl. Oh God bad idea when you have to go to work.

Today I was much smarter. I refused to sample anything and ate a normal lunch. I still feel sick to my stomach, but at least I'm not bouncing off the walls.

Meanwhile, Nineteen Minutes, the book I was reading in the pre-dawn hours, was excellent.

Not as good as Love Walked In, the book I just finished reading. Absolutely brilliant. Everyone should go read it. It referenced The Philadelphia Story and Rebecca. Very hard to do. It is my squishy.

Next up are the Harry Potter books, which I've been told by six different people at work that OMG YOU MUST READ!!! So I'm reading. Ten years late, but what the hell.

So that's what he's doing after he finishes training us.

Oh boo hoo. You're Catherine Zeta-Freakin'-Jones. You don't get to be insecure. My heart bleeds for her.

2 comments:

CMT said...

Nice icon. You're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope you have a better night!!!!! It is much cooler tonight:):):) Remember my stories about walking down Silver Spring after too much coffee and too little food!!!!