Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mourning the loss of sexual favors in academia.

Driving my sister to work yesterday we started talking about professors, and how some are really good and some are really bad and some leave you two years later going, "Wait? Did I take that class? Really?" (Non-Western World Spring '05 at Concordia with...um...I think his name started with an H...maybe?)

I'm not sure how we got on this, because most of the professors I was talking about are parents of her friends (Ozaukee is a cesspool. If you can get away with not marrying a cousin you're lucky.) and, well, ewww, but we started talking about how since the whole sexual harrassment thing in the 80s/90s, there is no possiblity of getting an A without doing A work. Colleen then added that I totally wouldn't have taken advantage of it, because that's just not the kind of person I am.

Except she's wrong.

Not in the fact that I am not a whore, but in the thought that I wouldn't do anything to protect my grades.

(I guess, in order to fully understand my neuroses, you may need some background. I'm crazy about tests and grades. Always have been, probably always will be. Second grade? Those stupid time tests with multiplication tables? They caused serious obsessing on my part. We're talking making-yourself-sick obsessing. I was seven. Freshman year of high school I figured out my GPA with every possible grade. Junior year I remember walking to a business law exam feeling like I was going to an execution. I couldn't open the ACT envelope because my hands were shaking so badly. Last year I braved a freaking blizzard with freezing rain to get to a history exam even though my TA said I didn't have to come, just so I wouldn't lose points. Again- crazy.)

Last spring, by some act of God (or perhaps the fact that I'm such a dork that the Hundred Years War actually makes sense to me), I got all A's. This was lovely and caused much rejoicing and self-assurance. Then it came time to go back to class.

And now I have 18 credits, six of which are, right now, in B+ territory.
Please, suspend the perfectly rational assumption that a B+ is a perfectly fine grade and I should stop being such a pretentious oaf for a moment and put yourself in my crazy-neurotic shoes.

A B+? Not an A. And if there was ANYTHING I could do to to assure that they would come out as A's at the end of the semester, I'd do it. And deal with eternal damnation later.

But, thanks to women's lib, I actually have to study.

*nostalgic sigh*

Well, I've officially embarrassed my parents for today. That's usually my sign to sign off.

ETA: Egypt went really well. With the exception of some stupid naming question that I'm pretty sure we didn't talk about in lecture *or* the book, and I forgot the Kingdom of Naqada in the list of kingdoms that were important to the unification (got This and Heirakonopolis, though- yay), I knew everything. I can calm down now. Yay.

See? Told you I was crazy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Mrs. Stall had to change her way of giving timed tests - after using her way for 20 years - just to try to calm you down....and we still had to pull you out of school!!!! OK, this worry has been going on for a few years now.....I am sure that some - if not all - of those B+ grades will go up to an A and if, by some chance, all of them do not, we will still love you more than words can say, the sun will still rise in the east, and, as Dad says, no little children will die...so all will still be well with the world!!!!! Relax and enjoy college:) that is what it is there for!!!!! By the way, it is 12:27 here on the computer so it is time for me to stop this and start praying - as per your request - for your next test!!!!!

Anonymous said...

fyi - big errings and a tilted head still work:):):)