Saturday, May 24, 2008

Seven Years

Seven years ago Memorial Day weekend was kind of a turning point in my life. Nothing terribly huge happened, it just changed things. I'm no paragon of aged wisdom here at twenty, but as I get older it never ceases to amaze me how quickly time goes, and how much things change.

I spent the weekend with Mary. We really became friends that weekend, bonding over horses- definitely the most important thing in both of our lives at the time. She wanted to be a veterinarian, I wanted to own and breed horses. Neither of us could see the 2o-year-olds we would become, but I think if we could have we would have liked it.

We're still best friends, at the same school, but this time she wants a masters in library science and I'm going to become a history professor. I have a lot of stories and feelings about the last seven years, but most of the best ones involve her- this is why I burst out laughing and cried when she gave me a book about Heloise and Abelard with a pink shirt drawn on the front page for my birthday. :) She's even taking extra credits next semester so she can graduate with me.

Everything has changed so much in the past seven years- I was in seventh grade, home schooled, and scared to death that I would never be able to go back to school because I wasn't smart enough. I did go back to school, obviously, and I have a 3.8 GPA (in spite of the harmonica of death). I was so thankful that my family was finally finished with illness. Um. Yeah. No.

I wonder where I'll be in seven years. If my life goes according to plan I'll have already have a master's degree, and be almost finished with my doctorate. I could be married, my mother was married at 27. I could be a mother.

But then, I thought I'd be raising horses now, didn't I?

It'll be fun to see what happens.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh...so nice!!!!

CMT said...

Awwwww

Anonymous said...

perspectie is always a very interesting thing, isn't it -- seven years goes by so very quickly.....

Anonymous said...

perspective....yes, perspective....