Friday, January 30, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

In honor of this most auspicious occasion of your birth, and since I kind of didn't get you a real present, I am willing to concede that some of the Crusades may have been undertaken for altruistic (if misguided) reasons. Some. Like, not the fourth. Or the Albigensian. I mean, I know they were heretics and all, but still, slaughtering your own people? Not cool. And I still have issues with the whole idea of a "holy" war. And I stand by my assertion that Innocent III was mostly concerned with growing the secular and imperial power of the Church and less so with the spiritual edification of the people, although he did call the Fourth Lateran Council. However, you could argue that this, too, was a grab for power, especially because he put the kibosh on religious orders...

But I digress. I give you the Crusades.

If I'm still poor and lazy next year, maybe I'll change my mind about McCarthy for you.

***

Now that we've got that out of the way, do you want to know how I managed to get paint on my hip bone and bra while wearing jeans and a t-shirt? Yeah, I would too. No idea. But it's there, and it is annoying me.

Also annoying me is the fact that I don't think the hallway looks very good, because the wall color and the ceiling color are kind of different and it bugs me, but like hell I'm painting the ceiling.

But hey, I only had to sit down and cry once today. Thankfully, I was alone and various workmen didn't have to witness my personal breakdown. It was much nicer that way.

I know it sounds stupid, but I think the only thing that gets me through these days at his house is going to Mass before- I feel closer to him there than anywhere else, and it gives me the strength to realize that this isn't it. It can't be it.

Oookay. This just got really heavy, really fast. I'm going to go have a glass of wine now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are correct....this isn't it!!! I am sure your Dad enjoyed his gift. Tell him Happy Birthday from Mickey & company because I mailed his card late and he most likely didn't get it today...sorry:)