Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sporty

The homily spoke to me this morning. Not that I necessarily got more out of it than usual (or that I didn't! It was very good! Sorry. That came out totally wrong.), but it made me smile.

First, covenant.

Um. Hello. Jewish Studies major. I am all about the covenant. I freaking love the covenant. (I like mine more. Because I get eternal life and the Eucharist. But the original- still pretty good.) In fact, I could even carry it through to the twentieth century and tell you about a bunch of rabbis who think that because of the Holocaust there could never have been a covenant in the first place...but I won't. Because it's depressing and I happen to vehemently disagree.

(Of course, I'd love to tell you why I vehemently disagree too...but that's kind of heavy for a Sunday afternoon and it basically ends with the above- my new and everlasting covenant is better.)

Second, there was quite a lot of sports talk.

Stop laughing.

I'm not a huge sports fan. You know this. I really don't care that you can hit/kick/throw/I'm sure there's something else you could do to a ball. I really don't care that you get paid more than many small nations to do so. I go to baseball games to people watch and drink.

But...the Olympics have been on. And I love the Olympics. I love tearful sports triumph stories and feeling very nationalistic and Bob Costas and all that! I love that!

Which is why I think that, had I been born yet, I would have been glued to the television during the 1980 US/USSR hockey game. Because I love to cry. And I love to beat the Russians.

I'm sorry. Sometimes the Polish in me cannot be quelled.

I actually watched a movie about it, once. I know. Shocking. Well, until you realize that it was the 2004 film "Miracle" and costarred Eddie Cahill and I was sixteen and very into CSI:NY at the time.

But I still watched it. And I'm not going to lie, I got a little bit teary at the end.

So. I'm mad that Canada won this afternoon. But at least it was better than the Russians.

It's really too bad I was -7 years old in 1980.

1 comment:

mickey said...

Most people will watch it if Eddie Cahill is in it :)