Friday, January 05, 2007

Are we having shrimp???



A quick entry, as the Empress has requested use of the computor and I, as a lowely Grand Duchess, cannot refuse her. At least, not if I want to deal with the screaming. Oh- there will be screaming.

Have been in a very 19th century mood lately, and worked my way through the 1996 movie, the 1997 A&E "miniseries" (I'm sorry, but if it's under two hours, you cannot really call it a miniseries.), and part of the 1983 actual miniseries of Jane Eyre (Five hours. Perfectly respectable miniseries.). Sadly, I cannot find the Jude Law SNL skit, which was quite possibly The Funniest Thing Ever Written. Not even on YouTube. Boo.

First, 1997 is crap. Rochester was NOT black Irish, and he was somewhat attractive. Cirian Hinds is, tragically, the former and decidedly not the latter. Also, Samantha Morton is about twenty years too old and way to pretty to be Jane.


It does, however, have the inestimable advantage of having Mrs. Jones/Mrs. Dashwood playing Mrs. Fairfax. We lurve Gemma Jones. I'd like her to be my mom. She could share with Rockford.

Anyhoodles, 1983 has the best story, hands down, just because they have more hours to put into it, and Jane is good, but I'm not buying Timothy Dalton as Rochester. After an hour he started to bug me. *sigh*

Other than the fact that Jane looks a lot like the daughter of a family that I used to play with when I was little (which is creepy when said Jane is ogling her boss), the 1996 version has my favorite Jane/Rochester. Even though William Hurt's greatest contribution to cinema is still that Viggo Mortensen got to kill him in a completely awesome scene in A History of Violence, taking Viggo's hotness factor, which was already pretty damn high, through the roof. I love that movie.

Probably a good thing, as it consisted of rougly 80% of my total Christmas gifts. :D




As long as we're being all old English, I can't leave my Bleak House icons out of it, y'all.

Ordered North and South from the library, supposedly awesome---and it has Anna Maxwell Martin, My Favorite Person On Earth OMG.

Changing topics, I took down the Christmas decorations today, and I now have a scar on my hand, a backache, and am seriously considering converting to Judaism just for the Menorah.

Also, I might have broken the brand new really expensive attic step thingy. Oops.

But the living room is clean now.



Also couldn't forget about Sense and Sensibility. Nothing to do with anything, but look how pretty!!!

ETA: Stairs aren't broken. Happiness.

2 comments:

CMT said...

Wasn't Anna Maxwell Martin, like, six when North and South came out? Thats the one with Patrick Swayze, right?

mi_morena said...

Not that one. This is about a woman from London moving to the "uncivilized" north.

Hehe. Patrick Swayze.

Although it's quite juicy---perhaps we should rent that.