Monday, January 15, 2007

This here's a covenant with God, bitch.

Yay---Golden Globes tonight---whee!!! So I'm gonna run down the major categories with who I want to win and who actually will win (these very rarely if ever match up---sadly, no one asked me to be on the board of anything handing out awards this year. Whatever.)

But first, I'd just like to say how much I really, really hate everyone who actually *is* on these committees because they get sent piles of DVDs of movies that are either still in theaters or theoretically in theaters but cannot be found anywhere near your house (*cough*Notes on a Scandal*cough*). I saw Children of Men and The Good Shepherd this weekend, but I actually ahd to PAY for them. Gah. I want a pile of movies that I can watch at my convenience. *sigh*

*ahem* With that, I give you the awards...

Best Picture Drama: Babel/The Queen

Sadly, The Queen is looking like it's only taking acting noms this year, even thoughit was a really good film in it's own right. Definately my favorite (well, okay. The only one I saw, but still) of the whole list. I'd give it to Babel, because it's weird and artsy and politically current enough that people will vote for it. I think The Departed is merely a Leo vehicle, and won't hold up on it's own, and nobody saw Bobby. Little Children what with it's hot-people-committing-adultery story would work, but it's not popular or edgy enough.

Best Picture Musical or Comedy: Dreamgirls/The Devil Wears Prada

Okay, I've seen and loved every one of these movies except the one that's going to win. And Borat, but still. Dreamgirls will take it, and maybe even the Oscar, because apparently people love watching people try to sing. Not my kind of thing, but whatever. I'm seeing it this week, so I'll update you on that (I know you're waiting.)

The other three, Little Miss Sunshine, Thank You For Smoking, and The Devil Wears Prada, were all fantastic, and I adored and have each one of them on DVD, but I think The Devil Wears Prada was my favorite. Just because it was so well done and I love Meryl Streep (when she's not shooting off her mouth), and it was so much fun. Thank You For Smoking would have done better if it hadn't have been released almost a year ago and people have forgotten about it already. Little Miss Sunshine would be my second choice. Not that it matters, because Dreamgirls will totally take it.

Best Actor Drama: Leonardo DiCaprio/Will Smith

I haven't seen a single one of these movies, but I know enough to know that Leo's gonna win for The Departed. I want Will Smith to win because he is my Squishy and I love him, but he's not going to. Sad.

They won't give it to Leo for that other one about the diamonds, and Forest Whitaker, while probably doing the best job critically at least, doesn't have the clout to win anything. Also, I didn't even know Peter O'Toole had a movie out.

Best Actor Comedy: Sacha Baron Cohen/Johnny Depp

Oh, Johnny. You don't have a shot, baby doll. But for religious reasons I am forced to root for you against all odds and even pray that you'll be there tonight (*crosses fingers*)

Borat will win. Duh. Again, Aaron Eckhart would have done a whole lot better if they had released this a couple months ago, but they didn't so he probably won't win. I'd love it if he did, though. And Stranger Than Fiction was popular enough with the critics or audiences to give Will Ferrell a chance.

And I've never heard of Kinky Boots.

Best Actress Drama: Helen Mirren/Helen Mirren

WHEE!!! The one time all night I'll probably be right!!! Helen Mirren was fantastic, and will will.

I'm sure Judi Dench did a good job, but The Queen has been out longer and more people have seen it. Maggie Gyllenhaal might have gotten it if Sherrybaby had been released more recently, and Kate Winslet isn't going to get it. Also, I'm not sure why they nominated Penelope Cruz, but they did.

Best Actress Comedy: Meryl Streep/ Meryl Streep

Ooh, another one!!! I think she'll win, because everybody absolutely adored Miranda Priestly. My choice for an upset would be Annette Benning, but Running with Scissors really tanked and she'd have to win it on being a critical darling alone, which is pretty hard to do. Toni Collette was good but not that good, nobody is going to give Beyonce an award over Meryl Freakin' Streep, and is Miss Potter even out yet?!?!?!

Best Supporting Actor: Not a clue/Don't really care

Why is it that I can never get involved in this race??? Last year Clooney was even in it and I couldn't be bothered!!! It wasn't for the movie I liked and he wasn't even hot in Syriana. I just never seem to care about anyone involved in it. I'm a bad moviegoer. Anyway, I'd say Brad Pitt or Jack Nicholson just 'cuz, but Mark Wahlberg could take it too. I don't think Eddie Murphy has a chance, and Ben Affleck just sucked in Hollywoodland. Or rather, that whole movie sucked.

Maybe next year they'll nominate some interesting people.

Best Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett or Jennifer Hudson/Cate Blanchett or Emily Blunt

I think Cate Blanchett is going to get it, but I'm torn, because I haven't sen Notes on a Scandal and I have seen Devil and I loved her character.

But then all people talk about it how amazing Jennifer Hudson is and she might get it too. I don't think Emily Blunt actually has a chance, but I still like her.

I don't know who the other two are and I can't pronounce their names. *sigh*

Sooo, Children of Men---quite good and disturbing but still good. Also, I Heart Clive Owen, but you probably knew that already. It felt a little bit long, like they could have trimmed something from the middle, but overall very good. I recommend it. But not for the faint of heart. Because once you as an audience member find yourself going, "Eh. Suicide kits. Good plan. I'd use one.", you know things are not good.

Also saw The Good Shepherd yesterday---watch out for the WASPs---they will kill you. No, no, I kid, it was also very good. No spoilers, because I know Mickey wants to see it. I don't know why it wasn't up for more awards, because it had a great cast, a great story, and Robert DeNiro directed it---if that's not Oscar bait I don't know what is. Angelina Jolie didn't really even bug me that much, which is saying something.

Almost three hours, but it didn't feel overly long, except that looking back there was some stuff that they could have done without. Like I'm not entirely sure we needed to keep flashing forward everytime they figured out something new about the photographs, and the whole story line with the director seemed kind of pointless, except that he was always kind of a scumball and we knew that from the beginning, and who the hell was Alec Baldwin and why was he there?!?!?!?!

Also, the little Skill and Bones group? Quite possibly the Gayest Thing Ever. They mudwrestle and thens ing about it. I'm pretty sure there are shows like that in Vegas.

Le anyhoodles, I'm off to do some laundry and watch the snow fall---ooh, so pretty!!!

3 comments:

John T Jurkiewicz said...

What about Scarlett Johanssen?

CMT said...

First off: lmao re: the title.

Second: ZOMG WILL SMITH SHOULD TOTALLY WIN.

mi_morena said...

test