Monday, March 03, 2008

The promised thoughts.

Two things before I get to the Other Boleyn Girl Or Worst Tudor Movie EVER.

1.) I just got an e-mail from my music professor talking about the midterm, and apparently there is going to be a listening thing at the beginning. And now I'm a little bit scared, because the music we've listened to in class has been stupid and "This is bluegrass". So I'm not sure what the questions are going to be about those. Is this bluegrass? Or who sang this and what year was it released? Oh, well, I'm over this and I can't wait for it to be over. So yeah. Pray for a curve.

2.) I took an online art history exam, which was blessedly free of "OMG WHAT THE HELL WHICH CATHEDRAL IS THAT CAN'T BREATH DYING NOW", but comes with a whole new set of anxiety, of the brand-new variety "OMG INTERNETS YOU HAD BETTER WORK OR SO HELP YOU GOD!!!"

Yeah. That was fun. Because I do so love to put 30% of my grade in the hands of my laptop that's been carted (and maybe dropped a couple times) all over the east side.




So, Other Boleyn Girl.

Or Movie That's Kind of About Mary and Anne Boleyn But Really Not and Rocks Fall Everyone Dies.

Colleen left saying it was so depressing that it only could have been sadder if they ate baby panda sandwiches. Haha.

Anyhoodles, I'm not even really mad because it was wrong (Although that started bugging me by the end. Especially when Henry calls Mary back for her counsel. Yeah. Henry VIII was so kind and cared so much for women's opinions that he often called on old flames for judicial advice. Please.), but it wasn't even wrong like the book. They changed almost everything, took away Mary's narrative voice, spent the first hour making Anne a bitch and the second hour making her the BESTEST SISTER EVER OMG, and then added a completely impossible rape that not only decidedly DIDN'T HAPPEN but didn't even fit with the the story.

And hey half-assed the incest. Please. If you're going to do incest, do it right, dammit. Although the moment when the entire audience (who clearly didn't read the book) realized it and went "Eww..." together was pretty awesome. :D

But I still didn't hate it. I guess I'm enough of a girl that I can be distracted by pretty dresses and crowns.

Finally- Mary didn't take Elizabeth in and raise her. Really, really, REALLY NOT.

And also? Catherine of Aragon kicks ass. I want to be her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww....an exam on line....the internet has a way of just shuting down when it wants to....glad you got your exam in!!! so sorry I didn't see that movie...sounds awful:):):) I saw Vantage Point this weekend and it was a great movie.....but not so many pretty dresses and crowns:):):)

Anonymous said...

pretty dresses and crowns -- it sounds like when you were little!!! you loved your pretty dresses - not the crowns so often though!!!! Just birthdays (you probably thought then that they were only for real royalty.....)So glad your test went well - it is good I am not taking that class"for reals" - I'd be a little behind in things:) I do love the subject though and the material is so interesting.....thanks!!!!

John T Jurkiewicz said...

Ahem.
The southern portion of your family, the ones you forget about, live thirty miles from the birthplace of bluegrass. Bill Monroe wrote every song.

CMT said...

KATHERINE OF ARAGON EATS FIERCENESS FOR BREAKFAST.