Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day. The mind gapes for a bigger oxymoron.

Considered spending the day holed up in the house wearing sweatpants and drinking. Something along the lines of taking a shot everytime a jewlery/flowers/Hallmark/KY commercial came on. Or someone happy smiled. Hate the world.

Had a paper due and so unfortunately I had to brave the hoards of happy people. Grrr. One of the great underrated joys of having only a few friends? Less people to bug you with their commitment.

Meanwhile, I have many options open for tonight. Let's see. Do I want to watch Lost or CSI:NY? I've been with Lost longer, but I have deeper feelings for CSI. Oh the decisions.

Fortunately, unlike real people, I can turn them off if I get bored. Another underrated pleasure of not having real friends.


I also have a campaign going to state that the gross holiday that Hallmark has turned this into might be a teensy bit blasphemous, because frankly I cannot imagine that St. Valentine himself, who died for his faith for heavens sakes and was probably a nice guy, would want poor lonely girls to sit at home thinking about their rotting eggs and and watching CBS while other people go have sex in his name. *sigh*

I think he needs a nice cathedral or something. That maybe doesn't do weddings.

Also, I looked him up on the Catholic Encyclopedia, and frankly, I don't think we should be handing out cards and candy just because this is when the birds start doing it. Gah. Hate the world more.




But that's okay, because everything else is going so well and my life is just sailing along in unfettered waters.

Or not.

So, Monday. Things were good. Okay, not so good, because the roads were pretty much at a standstill and I obviously missed the bus and had to park at UWM and fail a test and then really, REALLY wish I was back at Concordia, but still pretty good. The containment shelter had been dismantled, and the rest of the crew of the Good Ship Whackjob had pulled out of my bathroom, and the washing machine was due to be fixed that afternoon. Things were looking up.

Of course, the washing machine is totally broken and now we need a new one, and I still have no clean clothes. Also, I was forced to enter a laundromat, which was...different. So by Monday evening my List of Things I Must Have in Life was topped by "my own washing machine untouched by other people's underwear eww".

Ha.

God obvioulsy thought that was amusing, because now "hot water so that I may be untouched by cold water at 6:20 in the morning eww" is right up there.

Sooo, last night The Boy notices that the water is taking forever to heat up. Not actually an unusual occurance, as I usually have turn it on when I start brushing my teeth and three minutes later it might be warm enough to use for my face, but Homeowner Daddy goes rushing down to check the pilot light, which has, of course, becuase why should it be any different here on the Compound?, gone out. And then procedes to do something to something and now we have NO HOT WATER.

Yeah. You read that right.

And let me tell you, taking a cold washcloth-bath at six in the morning but sans washcloth because you have no freaking washing machine and thus no clean towels? Not so much fun.




Winter is evil, and it must now die, mmmkay pumpkin?


Well, blog kitties, I need to go make art history flash cards (Whoo! Van Eyck!!!), so have a not-sucky Valentine's Day and I'll talk to you tomorrow when I've sobered up emerged from hiding.

2 comments:

CMT said...

AMEN, sister! *swigs from bottle*

Arbiter-117 said...

Okay, two things:


1) I do agree. Happy people are genuinely annoying somethimes (read: 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time. Thoe other .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the time, I don't care). Also, I didn't know that was why this day was chosen. Quite gross.

2) How many freakin' times do I have to ask you, in any manner of ways, to STOP. FREAKIN'. CALLING. ME. THE. BOY. Answer me this.

Nice post. I enjoyed it.