Friday, February 02, 2007

It's like candy, but with blood. Which is so much better!

So. Freaking. Tired. Want to die. Because when you die you get to sleep for a long time. That's looking very good right now.

Have gotten about eight combined hours of sleep over the past three days. And I am not one of these people who can get three hours a night and be all perky in the morning---I'm a gone-at-ten kind of girl. I could never survive in the Eastern time zone, because I'd have to fall asleep during all my CSIs...

Also, drinking a pot of regular coffee at twelve-thirty at night while stressing and watching The Illusionist? Not so much of a good idea. Because even when your reason for stressing arrives home safe and sound, you CANNOT go to sleep. And not just because you're thinking of a hundred different ways for Jessica Biel to die.

That said, The Illusionist was an absolutely fantastic movie- I can't believe I didn't see it in theaters, actually, because it kind of looks like something I'd have wanted to see. Except it came out in August. During August I was kind of preoccupied with the plague, and all non-Pirates movies got passed over.

But I should have gone, because it was really good. Everyone should go see it. I even stopped hating Jessica Biel's existance on this planet for awhile. And that, my friends, deserves an Academy Award. Great story, creepy shadowy cinematography, and Paul Giamatti playing The Short Fat Funny Sidekick, a character he seems to play in...oh...everything. But he's good at it. Plus a little Austrian royalty. You can't beat that, mate.
Also? Edward Norton is kind of hot in sepia tones.



Hey, y'all remember back c. 2002 when there was that major bioterrorism scare and Tom Ridge told everybody to go buy plastic sheeting and duct tape and baricade themselves in their houses (which, btw, made like negative sense)???

Yeah. If that happens again, we're good.

Because here in Kansas, when the temperature drops below 0, you take drastic measures. That kind of make me feel like I can't breath. At least psychosomatically. I realize that's weird, but if you start taping the windows, you have to expect it.

I was going to take a picture of my bedroom window, but my cell phone won't work. Booo.



Today's List of Unacceptable Items:

1.) People. People in general, but especially people who come in at 9:45, order six drinks and food (to stay, no less) and then make a milk thig explode (okay, not their fault. But I hate them so much that I'm blaming them for it) and then leave books in the cafe so that I have to put them away. Also, annoying grandmothers with their obnoxious children who just run and scream and make me really wish the Kahlua syrup was spiked.

2.) Creepy construction guys who tip me and then stare at me as though this were a brothel and I owed them something for it. Perv. Just get your cream and go.

3.) Broken backpacks in the middle of the year when there are about two backpacks available in the entire state and they're really ugly. Forcing me to go to Office Max and buy a messenger bag because the only backpacks they had were (honest to God) between SIXTY and EIGHTY dollars. Now. I'm pretty sure that if I was going to pay eighty dollars for a backpack, it would have to actually do the course work for me. And that was not listed on the little sheet of features between breathable fabric and ergonomically-designed straps (apparently for all those business types who need to go hiking, but want to take care of their backs).

One Acceptable Item :

1.) Unless you've been under a rock recently, you know they announced the release date for the new Harry Potter book. Now, when you work at a book store, this is so important that you begin dividing time by this date and abandon the whole BC/AD thing altogether. The management is already getting ulcers and high blood pressure just thinking about it.

And the marketing- oh the marketing. I got to work yesterday and my mailbox was full of OMG WHAT TO DO WHEN THE GATES ARE STORMED and PLEASE BE NICE TO THE CUSTOMERS ESPECIALLY THE BITCHES WHAT WOULD HARRY DO??? memos , and then at the bottom a little bookmark that said, "Severus Snape. Friend? Or foe?" *squee* I want to be his friend. And that's all I'll say because this is a family blog.

It made my night.




Quick what I'm reading update before I go eat a pizza and watch Grey's Anatomy (what? They got married in Vegas? No. And how can you build a clinic in eight days? That's impossible. )

Read this really awesome book, Helen of Troy, a couple of days ago---totally recommend it, except they talked about sex a lot. Like a lot a lot. But hey, those Greek's were freaky, no??? More of a cultural biography, tracing Helen's influence rather than her actual history because, well, we don't know that she had a history. The most beautiful woman in the world maybe didn't exist. But anyway, fantastic. Also loved the archeological and artistic research this woman did. Really good.

Oh, good Lord, Meredith's mom is having a lucid moment and hitting on the chief. Gotta go watch this.

1 comment:

CMT said...

Hahaha. Sepia tones.

Now I wanna watch it.