Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I now make major decisions based on paperback novels.

It’s exam time for Imladris and the Boy, and they’re both doing perfectly and getting A’s and blah blah blah. One of them pulled a FREAKING 97% out of his/her ass on an astronomy exam, quite a daring accomplishment when one considers that he/she may have been questionable on whether the sun was a star or not a scarce 48 hours prior to the exam. The other was pulled aside by a teacher this morning and told that his/her research paper was THE BEST EVER OMG I’M CALLING MENSA!!!

I don’t get that anymore.

I used to- at Concordia I got that all the time. In my constitutional law class our major project (other than showing up three times a week at eight o’clock in the morning excited to discuss the commerce clause, which even I, a Supreme Court Whore, find a trifle dry at times *heh*) was this huge long-ass (I’m talking 15-20 pages, which is huge and long-ass when you’re a sixteen-year-old pretending you know how to take 300-level courses) research paper about some topic. Mine was a scholarly biography of three Chief Justices, Marshall, Rehnquist (the current one at the time), and one other one who was terribly dull Holmes maybe? NO! It was Taney. I only remember because I had written ten pages before I realized you pronounced it “Tawney” and not “Tainey”. Hah. I felt stupid.

Okay. Not the point.

Anyway, I wrote the paper, didn’t feel too great about it, because again, 16 and stupid. Le anyhoodles, I got to class one morning and Dr. Jarratt’s there (well, duh, he caught the class), and starts talking about how awesome all of our papers were (um, yeah, sure), but there were three that were outstanding.

The first one he mentions was this one guy’s, John. So I’m fiddling with my pen and thinking, “Well, yeah, that makes sense, he’s freaking brilliant. And really hot, too. Too bad he’s married. Maybe he’s not married. He’s awfully young. Maybe he wears that band on his left finger as like a chastity ring or something. Yeah. That’s it. We’re meant to be to together…

“And Kathleen’s, which read like a novel and was very well researched.”

I almost fell off my chair. Hot John and I were in the same academic league??? Along with getting a B+ in chemistry my first semester and my A in physiological psych last semester, that was one of the proudest moments of my academic life. A judge thought I had one of the best paper’s he’d ever read.

Yeah.
It doesn’t happen anymore. At UWM, the best I’ve gotten was an exclamation point once on a paper because I said something the TA thought was funny.


Also up today: my future!!!

Ha.

I kid.

But I’ve been thinking very seriously about law school, mostly because I’m on break and, well, don’t have a lot else to do. But anyways, as much as I love law and think it would be fun and REALLY want to call myself an attorney (perhaps only so I could bust into crime scenes and be all, “No questions. She’s represented by counsel,” like on Boston Legal), I don’t think this is viable career option.

Even if I took a sugar-coated, David E. Kelly vision of the practice of law, I still don’t want to do it. It looks boring. And hard. And, again, BORING. My mother, she of the J.D. and years of soul-sucking experience, said she knows I wouldn’t do well at a large, well-paying firm, so I would most likely be stuck at some boring one person firm where I don’t get paid a whole lot.

Um. Yeah. There is indeed a price on my suffering through three years of Socratic torture, but you can be damn sure it’s more than one guy can afford.

Also? I’ve been reading Above the Law, a legal blog. But this isn’t about the blog, which is lovely and funny except they like Hillary and BOOO!!! but I digress, this is about the comments. Comments, made by asshole lawyers. Seriously. They’re all obnoxious, and all annoying as shit, and I kind of don’t ever want to talk to people like that much less WORK FOR THEM.

And then, I read this book, Testing Kate, by Whitney Gaskell.

And I know, I know. You should never make major career decisions based on chick lit. I understand this. I’m not a drooling fool.

But the Kate of Testing Kate? Was a history major who went into law because she thought it would be fun before her friend tried to commit suicide because it was so stressful and a bunch of actual lawyers told her to get out while she still could so she ended up working for a historian and getting her masters in history.

I felt a little bit like God was going, “Okay, dumbass. Maybe I have to put it in FREAKING PINK WRITING FOR YOU.”

*sigh*

Also- Romney won in Michigan. And I’m not pleased. First of all, I like McCain. Secondly, I don’t think that ANY Republican has a huge change of winning this time. Thirdly, I think that they ONLY one who has ANY chance is McCain, mostly because people are scared of him I think.

The only people who are still going to reliably vote for a Republican are the religious right, and I’m pretty sure they’re not down with Mormonism.
This has been entirely too long, and damn it, I've driven to Grafton High like six times today and I'm TIRED, so just two links tonight.

Okay, so I know he’s all aesthetically pleasing and everything, but when you’re a little girl and dreaming about having a baby, the father doesn’t usually use terms like “stoked” and “wowed” and “grown in her womb” and forgo deodorant, does he? Or is that just me? I’d like someone who isn’t high on something. And, you know, doesn’t smell.

Seriously. Can no one help her?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He/she just got his/her math grade and it was over 100% so the joy just continues.....:) But remember, congrats are very hard to come by at a huge institution - it is not like high school where, if you do a good job, they are just thrilled for themselves too and need to tell you so.... We're VERY proud of all that you do academically and otherwise!!!! Always remember that!!!! And you are right, chick lit is not a good way to decide the course of your life's work, but the thought process that you are using makes sense - just keep thinking things through until it is time for you to make your decision - God will help you see what to do.....you could even look at that book we got you for Christmas.....:)you will know what to do when the time comes - but you are right, do you want a 100K loan and then hate the practice of law (like someone I may or may not know of....who loved the study of law but hated the practice thereof.....)Keep a smile on that pretty face....and thanks for allllll of the driving today......you are ONE in a MILLION!!!!!

Anonymous said...

where to start????......as usual a great blog
- I too had a sibling who was always pulling wonderful grades etc etc out of his/her ass so I feel the pain:):):)
- God does talk to you in various ways....I have had conversations at time shares and via soap operas...so I say anything goes
- you will know what to do in time to do it.....not to worry.....I am sure you will pull a great future out of your ass:):):)
- you rock and don't forget it
- why does Brit want to keep having kids for the courts to take...so many labor pains and stretch marks for nothing:):):)