Thursday, April 09, 2009

Tantum Ergo

I freaking love Latin. And incense. And kneeling. You sit me at a Holy Thursday Mass? I am thrilled.

Except I mispronounce everything. I learned classical Latin at a Lutheran school, so all my v's sound like w's and my mouth is incapable of forming a soft c sound. Grrr. Dr. Wilmeth ruined me for the triduum.

Now I really want to go back to Latin. I kind of miss it- I loved it so much and I actually didn't suck at it horribly (well, at least until participles.) I need to take either Latin or Greek (or Hebrew, but ha! We saw how Russian went.) for my theoretical theology degree, so maybe we'll do Latin. Yep. Definitely.

Maybe at a Catholic university they'll teach me to say the "v" sound.

2 comments:

mickey said...

I just held the book while they sang the latin and I wondered why we weren't singing the english that was also printed on the page????????????

rockford said...

Wasn't that just the most beautiful Mass...!!!! I love Holy Thursday -- maybe because that is the day I was born??!!! I just thought of that - maybe that is why I have always loved that Mass so much.... and I am sure you can learn "Catholic" Latin just as easily as you learned in your last Latin class!!!