Wednesday, March 15, 2006

For Imladris

This is my 200th post!!!!! Which might become significantly more exciting if you mistakenly think that I actually have something to say. Which I don't. I'm pretty much just waxing extensive on my views on things that don't matter. Case in point: today I feel like discussing Anna Karenina, Winston Churchill's mother, the fact that I think my thigh muscle is ripped, and the British House of Commons and why they are SO MUCH BETTER at this whole legislature thing than we are.

First, I was reading Colleen's blog about how she got 150 pages into Anna Karenina (which she did, as I supsected, steal out of spite for me and my ability to sleep this week)- good for you, hon, only like 800 more!!! And it reminded me just how much I love that story. Which reminds me that I desperatly need a South Korean bootleg copy of the movie with Sean Bean as Vronsky. But that's a whole different diatribe.

And she is right. I would kill many, many people to be in Anna's position. I mean before she throws it all away for fleeting physical gratification and then literally throws it all away- under a train. The whole married to a Russian aristocrat who doesn't feel any particular need to talk to me or touch me but instead sends me on fun little trips to Moscow for the weekend. In pretty dresses.

Anna was a stupid whore. I was kind of worried about feeling sorry for her when she dies. Yeah. Right. You can just be run over. I don't even care.


Speaking of aristocrats that I'd like to marry (and there are plenty of them) I just finished reading the awesome book, The Titled Americans, which I was able to purchase with my trust Rewards Card...*ahem*. It was about the Jerome sisters who all married rich British guys with titles. And then Jennie gave birth to a little prodigy named Winston. Who ended up like saving the world. See???????? This could be my life!!!!!!!!! My kids could make the world safe for democracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Although they'd be a hell of a lot cuter that Winston Churchill.) I want to marry a rich British guy...*pouts* Except that Jennie kind of had some marital fidelity issues that I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't have. Why do I always identify with the adultress??? Seriously. It's a problem. I'm really not a whore.

(My icons aren't working. Bugger. Blogspot.com should die.)

I think I ripped my thigh muscle. No, really, I think the stairmaster crept upstairs and ripped it for me. Because it will not rest until I am hobbled.

(There would be a funny icon here. But there isn't.)

Wanna know how big a geek I am? I'll tell you. I was randomly flipping channels a couple of days ago and C-SPAN was doing the little Prime Minister's questions from the House of Commons. Normally I would have been like, "Yeah, this won't allow my brain to rot, so let's see what's on VH1...", but we had just watched a video on this whole thing in government (from the early nineties. Do you have any idea how the average British Parliament member dressed in 1991? Not pretty. Not pretty at all) and I figured there were worse ways to spend a couple of minutes.

Oh. My. Gosh.

It was so funny. Really. People were like bobbing up and down trying to get to ask their questions, and then they'd all start yelling "Boo!!!!!!!!" or something happy when somebody actually did get to ask a question. And the people who were actually allowed to speak would just kind of yell random insults at the poor PM (even if they were Labour...really, Americans are nothing if not partisan.). Blair was just like, "WTF, man?" for a whole half hour. I mean, I'm sure he wasn't, but probably would have been justified. I know I would have started yelling at people to sit down and shut the hell up after the first two minutes. I would so not make a good Prime Minister. For many reasons. But this is a biggie.

It made our legislature look so BORING. Seriously. We probably get more done, but they have way more fun. I mean, nobody boos Delay in public, no matter how much you hate him. And all of our people have their own personal space. Those Britons were shoved up against each other. This is another reason I woud not last long in the British political system. I would seriously need space to spread out. And a desk. None of this chapel crap that they've got going on. You have to really like the person in the district next to you, because you will be spending a lot of time with them. :p

All in all, a rather entertaining way to kill ten minutes...

4 comments:

CMT said...

Omg poor Tony Blair! And I actually think I would prefer an English aristocrat for you, because it wouldn't be so much of a culture shock for your basement-dwelling sister. They speak our language, after all. I should watch CSPAN sometime and catch a little British government. Apparently they pass bills wicked fast over there because the legislation isn't equally divided or whatever (I wasn't really listening in social studies and the teacher didn't really know what the hell she was talking about anyway). So yeah, congrats on the 200th post!!!! And about the Winston Churchill thing...if your rich British son saves the world do you really care what he looks like? Because I'm like crossing my fingers hoping my son will graduate from college (not thru any tutoring on my part, lemme tell ya)

mi_morena said...

Yes, because then you could understand what he was saying when he occaisionally will yell down the stairs, "Why the hell are you still in my basement???" Clears so much up.

Although nothing beats a fabergeegg, does it??? ;)

rockford said...

200th post!!!! Wow!!! See, you do have an interesting life -- I would have to review Fraiser episodes.....Congrats!! I love your save the world plans...and your views on Anna--I remember that ballet....saddness...should I tune into cspan when things get slow??? the arguing sounds very entertaining....

Anonymous said...

WOW.....200th post!!!! It is not just amazing that you have done that many.....but you know what number you are on......I am soooooo
impressed with you!!!:):):) Oh you will have cute kids.....you're soooo cute!!!!:):):)