Thursday, March 16, 2006

Holocaust Movies

(Note: Good/Bad Imladris is bogarting the good computor with the pictures folder. Thus the notable lack of icons. Although I'm not entirely sure I could come up with appropriate icons for a holocaust post. But still.)

I'm a sucker for them. War movies too. I'm so weird. I get buggy watching romantic comedies for longer than ninety minutes, but give me a four hour manifesto with dead Jews and I'm there.

So I watched Schindler's List today. Wow. Really good. I don't usually get that upset by movies that I watch at home (I think because it's not dark and stuff), but I was crying so hard at the ending. When they give Oskar the ring with the Hebrew saying- well, I don't think I've been that emotional since the last time I watched Life is Beautiful. Another holocaust tearjerker. Not that there are a whole lot of fun holocaust movies.

Anyhoodles, I love Liam Neeson even more now, if that's possible. I've even forgiven him for being the baddie in Batman Begins. And when you can forgive someone for trying to rid the world of the brilliance that is Christian Bale, well, you know you've grown emotionally.

And now I have mixed feelings about Ralph Fiennes. He was totally evil in this, and I can find attractive qualities in almost anybody (the terrorist in Die Hard? Misunderstood.), but pure evil is difficult to love. And a word to the wise, Ralph- take care of yourself. You can't carry off being overweight. Just no.

So other than the full-frontal nudity and gratuitous shots of some random woman's bare chest, this was a completely awesome movie that everybody should see. Did you know that Steven Spielberg didn't accept any money for it because he said it would have been blood money? I think that's sweet.

4 comments:

Racergirl179 said...

Isn't it a great movie?! I loved it! In a really wierd way.

Anonymous said...

That good/bad Imladris...what to do with her!!!! I can only imagine what lovely icons you might find for the Holocaust....maybe it is a good thing you can't get to that computor!!!:):):) I never saw that movie, but I have only heard great things about it....I loved the comment John Stewart (sp) made about it during the Oscars...hahaha:):):)....It is 9:00 on Thursday and I am realllllly missing my Jerry B shows....but my alum...UWM...won today during March Madness...yeah!!!:):):)...in case you care...Marquette lost and Madision doesn't play until Friday...I know you were just waiting for your B'ball update:):):)

rockford said...

As you know, I never saw the movie -- sad movies and scary movies are just not my thing - there is enough in life itself without watching it for entertainment ---i know, this is only my one little opinion ---- the rest of the world loved the movie so I am sure that it is good and that it reminds us of what can happen when evil triumphs over the good....i'm glad that you enjoyed it though...

CMT said...

I can't wait to see it on Tuesday but I'm afraid I'll cry really really hard and I don't want to in front of lots of people :( Awwwww how sweet of Spielberg not to accept money. Jon Stewart was right - "Trilogy!"